My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The softer side.

On August 19, 2008, Matt's good friend and hockey buddy, Rick, lost his wife, Maxine, to cancer. I remember how deeply Matt was affected and how helpless he felt at the thought of his good friend's devastating loss.

Shortly after Matt's unexpected death only three months later, Rick reached out to me and told me how touched he was by a message that Matt had sent to him just eight days before Maxine's death. He said he would read it to give him strength when he felt sorrowful.  I'll always be so grateful that Rick shared that message with me because it revealed the softer side of Matt that not everyone got to see:



Rick,
        I read the email about what you and your wife are going through and my first thought was your wife couldn't be more blessed than to have you at her side. You are such a strong, dedicated, and fun loving person that I am sure it puts your wife at ease knowing you are there for her.
 
You two are in Andrea's and my thoughts and prayers many times a day.
 
Rick if there is anything at all that you need help with, please do not hesitate to ask. Any thing at all, household chores, yard work, errands, groceries, anything that will help to take a load off and give you a break or time to catch up on something else. Just let me know, I work second shift so I could help you during the day or on the weekend, call me or send me an email.
 
God bless both of you, Matt



One of the things Matt was known for was always lending a hand to a friend in need, and he managed to say the right thing at the right time to make someone feel better. Most of the time, anyway. ;) 

2 comments:

linda said...

Sounds like an awesome guy...

Andrea Renee said...

Thank you- he really was. =)