My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Caulk.

I was going to post a link to a very inspiring post from a page on my Foundation's blog tonight, but something absolutely hilarious just happened that I have to write down first before I forget...

Jacob (who is now 11 and in 6th grade in middle school) and I had both entered the bathroom to brush our teeth this evening before bed. We have one of those long counters with two sinks, and I had taken a wet hand towel out of the sink on the right and told him it's from last night when we had the rainstorm. The wind was blowing the rain directly onto my bedroom windows, and the window sill on the left was leaking water onto the hardwood floor. Turns out there's a large gap where the rain was just pouring in. Since it was the middle of the night, I opened the window, shoved the hand towel where the gap was and closed the window onto it to anchor it into place. It was completely drenched by morning, so I just threw it into the bathroom sink to deal with later.

Anyway, I took it out of the sink and threw it into the tub (still soaked) so we could use both sinks to brush our teeth and as I did that, I explained I could fix the leak by filling the gap with caulk, and that I needed caulk for the tub in the bathroom, anyway.

He gave me this very quizzical, wide-eyed look and said,

"What's caulk?"

Somehow I knew by the shocked look on his face combined with a smirk, the only word he knows that was close to "caulk" was something else that sounds similar but spelled differently, and with a VERY different meaning. OMG.

I burst out laughing. Jacob, relieved that I was laughing, couldn't help but laugh, too. Neither of us could stifle it..... Then I said,

"C A U L K!"

I said as phonetically clearly as I could, and then I spelled it out: "C.A.U.L.K."

I couldn't stop laughing enough to explain the difference yet - I was still trying to process the fact that my sweet little innocent boy knows that other word, and that THIS was something we were laughing about together! We're just about to brush our teeth, so I told him I'd explain more after we were done, and the whole time I'm brushing my teeth, I'm struggling for composure. I kept breaking out into laughter, and so did he.

Finally, both done with our teeth, I was able to explain to him what CAULK was. Then I had to ask:

"What do you know about 'caulk'???"

His reply:

"The back of the bus."

That's been his answer for several other things within the last two years...

Damn middle school bus. But what a laugh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being the mom of 3 boys, I LOVE that story!

Andrea Renee said...

Haha!! So glad you do! =P