My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Friday, January 29, 2016

Hard to imagine...

It was thirty years ago yesterday that the Challenger's launch was televised around the world. Thousands of children watched in awe from their old clunky classroom television sets as the Challenger launched - knowing that it was also the first time that a teacher was part of the crew. A teacher, just like the one they were with while watching this historical event take place.

My 7th grade class and I watched in horror as the Challenger exploded into smoky pieces right before our eyes. It was so hard to believe that it actually happened. I don't think anyone who watched this on live TV could ever forget that moment.

I was twelve at the time, and had no idea what life had in store for me. Jacob is almost the same age I was when I watched those events unfold. With that in mind, I think about things from his perspective; he's already experienced the unthinkable in his own real life which has now become his normal. I know he has many hopes and dreams for his future, which I would imagine that to him right now are probably pretty hard to imagine.



No comments: