My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Monday, November 10, 2014

Oh boy...

I've been trying to expose my kids to all the great movies I loved while I was growing up; so far, some of the ones we've watched Karate Kid, Back to the Future (all three), Goonies, E.T., and Adventures in Babysitting.

Tonight the kids and I were watching Hook (with Robin Williams and Julia Roberts). We got to the part where Hook stabs Rufio with his sword, and Rufio's last words to Peter Pan were, "I wish I had a dad like you."

Sydney chimes in, "I wish I had a dad."

Ugh. Here we go...


Then the questions began flying one after another...

SYDNEY: "How old was I when Daddy died?"

ME: "Eighteen months old - a year and a half."

SYDNEY: "So, I was a year old."

ME: "Yes - well, a year and a half."

SYDNEY: "Technically one year old."

ME: "Well, yeah." (She's gonna be a great attorney someday.)

JACOB: "That made me forty-eight months old."

ME: "Four years times twelve months per year - yep - that's right."

JACOB: "Well, they ALL have dads or they wouldn't be there."

ME: "You're right, Jacob - just like you guys have a dad or you wouldn't be here, either."

SYDNEY: "When did he die?"

For some reason, this one caught me off guard - like it should be innate knowledge for them since it's been pretty much their whole life.

ME: "On November 15, 2008. This Saturday, it will be six years."

It's kind of weird telling our kids that...

I'm kinda glad she brought it up, because maybe now they're old enough to honor that date in a way they choose...

SYDNEY: "We should have a party for him!"

JACOB: "No, Sydney - it's his death day - not his birthday!"

(Ouch.)

SYDNEY: "Oh. Then maybe we should send up balloons!"

I've got to find some biodegradable balloons so I don't feel so guilty! 

This is the first year since his actual date of death that it falls on the same days... Friday afternoon began his shift, and it was in the wee hours of Saturday morning that the accident happened. All I gotta say is no one better knock on my door this Saturday morning. At least not till after nine...

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Andrea. I'm sorry. :( I totally remembered this Saturday, and that it's the same day of the week as it was in 08. (Megan actually has a friend born that same day.) I love you & your dear kids and I'll be praying for you guys as this anniversary comes & goes!

Andrea Renee said...

Thank you, Michelle! ❤️ Love you, too!

glenda said...

So sorry! May peace and strength be a part of Saturday. Now that Sydney is old enough to ask more questions it'll get harder for you to answer but she'll feel more comfortable asking and honoring her dad's anniversary :(

Anonymous said...

Oh boy is right. Puts everything in perspective for sure. I wish they had a dad too.

Andrea Renee said...

Thank you!

linda said...

Praying for your family right now...

Andrea Renee said...

Thank you, Linda

momof 3 said...

I think of your family every November 15th. It's also my birthday. I found your blog by accident and have followed it for the last few years. Prayers for you and the kids.