My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Broken Bones.

Last winter was loooong, cold and snowy. Between living in warmer states the last several years and the fact that it was an unusually wintery winter even by Buffalo's standards, we were getting Spring fever pretty early on. We decided to take up rollerblading for something fun and different that we could do indoors (and eventually outdoors).

When I was growing up, my mother would take my sister and I to the roller rink and would skate our hearts out. Many times it would be just my mom and I on these outings. She made friends with an older lady that would go with her grandson, Jimmy. I was about six years old, and Jimmy was about twelve... He would roller skate with me while my mom and his grandmother would visit, and I pretty much fell in love with the kid. The last time I went roller skating with my mom, he was there... The song "Reunited" by Peaches and Herb came on, and he scooped me up and sped around the roller rink. We were going so fast that it felt like we were flying. I had my arms around his neck and was in my glory. I even got up the nerve to give him a kiss on the cheek! (I know, I know - I was only six, but love knows no age!) It was a day I will never, ever forget.

The next time my mother went roller skating, it was just her and my sister. In an effort to give each of us kids our own special time with mom, I couldn't go that time, and boy was I not happy. Jimmy was there with his grandmother, and he had given my mom a little blue stuffed octopus to give to me. How sweet was that?? My mother ended up falling and breaking her wrist on that outing, and we never went back. I still have that little blue octopus (I wrote on the bottom of it, "Jimmy 1979 Reunited"), and it was years before I could hear that song on the radio and not cry. By that time, they really didn't play it on the radio anymore, anyway...

When I started taking my kids roller skating, I promised them out loud that if I ever fell and broke my wrist, I wouldn't let that stop me and we will STILL go roller skating.



I've had lots of experience on old-school roller skates, but decided that I should get with it and upgrade to rollerblades. I had gotten the kids their own rollerblades since the ones we were renting at the rink were falling apart. Jacob took to it pretty quickly - he was determined to master it, and despite many falls, kept getting right back up and continued. Sydney was much more hesitant, but wasn't doing too bad. However, the third time I got on my rollerblades, I wiped out and broke my wrist. At least it happened just before we were about to leave after being there all afternoon.

Still in my cast three weeks later, I decided that was long enough to wait before going back. We were at the rink for barely a half hour when Jacob fell and broke his front tooth in half (an adult one).

At first, he began to panic when he realized he knocked his tooth out, and when it hit me he knocked the same one out that Matt did, I told him and his face lit right up! Matt had knocked his tooth out (and ripped his lip open) when he was water skiing way before we met, and it seems to be tradition for the Row boys to take proud pictures of their injuries. Matt had a big, bloody smile in his picture... When I told Jacob about this, he and Sydney were now laughing, and I was able to take a proud picture of Jacob with a big smile and missing tooth. Thank you, Matt!! =P

Fortunately I found the other half on the floor, and took him to the hospital where they were able to glue it back on.




2 comments:

glenda said...

OMG that cute little love story. Do you ever wonder where is Jimmy? They glue the tooth back together again? Is that something new these days?

Andrea Renee said...

I've often wondered where he is, Glenda!

I don't think that's new (about being able to glue the tooth back on)... They put the other half in milk when we got to the ER, and then had to file both edges down, apply some sort of adhesive, and a few more steps to get it just right to attach it back on. He was such a trooper!