My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

We made it!

We've been back in Buffalo for a little over a month now and we just fell right into place. We LOVE our home, and our neighborhood rocks! There are so many kids on our street/block, the park is close, and one of my very best friends only lives three houses away! After being in isolated hell for so long, being back is such a huge relief, and the kids and I are THRILLED to be back among our lifelong friends and family, and are already making lots of new friends.

It was a bit of a rough start...
As much as it was a blessing that the closings for each house were successfully scheduled, they were only a day apart. Adding to the stress of that, the kids and I had been sick with upper respiratory infections and pink eye (ALL of us). The kids were mostly over theirs by the time we made it to Buffalo, but I still had a week to go. Then the night before our household goods arrived, Jacob got the stomach flu and threw up all over the living room carpet. I had brought cleaning supplies with me, but not enough, and we didn't have a washer and dryer yet... Got through that, our stuff came (most of it unbroken), and a day or so into unpacking, I ended up with the stomach flu. I had the cable company scheduled to come that day and tried calling them to reschedule, but they showed up bright and early. I was barely able to get up long enough to let them in and explain, but they were still willing to get the job done. Every time I had to stand up, I could only see silver sparkles and it took everything I had to not hurl. That passed in a day, thankfully, and then I ended up with a raging fever and horrible body aches, but I was just glad the nausea went away. So after a day and a half, I was all better and ready to resume unpacking (trying to make up for lost time). Amazingly, Sydney seems to still be immune to the stomach flu!

It's been crazy between unpacking, getting the kids registered for school, DMV stuff, health insurance, etc.... but knowing this is the LAST time I need to do this made it easier to get through. We are now just about settled, and loving every minute of it.

Jacob is in Little League (just got him in at the last minute!) and is in his glory. He needed this so badly- working and playing as a group with other boys his age, and being around grown men... He's been so deprived of both of those things for so long.

It's kind of a Row tradition to be in Little League- Matt and all three of his brothers were in it, as well as their sons. Jacob is the youngest boy in the family, and now it's his turn. As I watched him in practice yesterday, mommy guilt was kicking in big time... The other boys (some who are younger), clearly have more experience and knowledge of baseball. I haven't exposed Jacob to any sports up until now, and it shows. Thankfully, he seems to have natural ability and interest, so hopefully it won't be long before he gets right into it.

I could just picture Matt beaming as I watched Jacob listening to instructions from his coaches about the right way to throw, run the bases, etc.  As we were leaving practice, Jacob said the most enthusiastic, happy "good-bye!" to the coaches as we were heading to the van - it was adorable!! It did my heart good.

And as an added blessing, I met a truly wonderful man. His wife passed a little over a year ago, and he has two beautiful little girls. More on that later...

We are totally thriving - all three of us. Life really CAN be good. =)

6 comments:

~Shelly~ said...

Hi Andrea! I am a long time reader but I don't think I have ever commented. Im so glad that you guys are happy! I choked up reading the little league part.. good for him!! Congrats on the new digs ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are falling into place! Can't wait to hear about the new man!

Andrea Renee said...

Hi Shelly! Thank you for continuing to keep up with us, and for commenting! =)

Katie said...

Same here! Long time reader but never commented. I am glad you are home. I live away from my family in a different state and for the last 5 years I feel homesick. Unfortunately, moving back home for us isn't possible due to finances (DC area is EXPENSIVE). I am eager to hear more of what you guys have been up to :)

Jill said...

So nice to see an update :) Glad you are finding your way. You had to go through those other moves to get here I think - but I'm glad that's done (I bet you are too!!)

Mrs. Prior said...

Hi Andrea, I was posting on our art blog - and pressed "next blog" and your came up - and wow, I skimmed a few and well, you are a wonderful writer and quite and amazing woman. I am sorry about your hubby's untimely death - and it really stirred up a lot of gratitude in my heart - reminding me of how precious each day is with out loved ones. Also, I am formerly from Buffalo (decades ago) and well, this blog choked me up. Hope all is well with the new guy you recently met - and with everything else. Take care and God bless you all!