My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Jacob & Sydney things...

Sydney announced this morning, "I had a dream last night that I was riding Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer! YAY!! My first Christmas dream!!" So cute!

She has been talking a LOT about Matt. "Daddy" this and "Daddy" that. During a meal when I announced it was quiet time (she rarely has a thought that doesn't get verbalized, and as a result, is too busy talking to eat), she whispered with a smile, "I was dancing with Daddy in my head." She says she misses Daddy, that she wishes she had a daddy, did Daddy like this song? and it goes on and on. I know it's a stage, but it takes the wind out of me sometimes. I'm glad she's talking, though.

She is dying to take ballet lessons. Just to make sure, I asked her the other day that if she could choose between ballet, gymnastics or karate, which would she choose (since she's expressed an interest in all of those), and her answer is still ballet. Even though they are expensive, I'm looking into what's available in our area. I'm hoping to suprise her this Christmas by telling her she'll be taking lessons soon! She'd be great at it. She's strong, flexible, and loves to perform. I've been asking Jacob what sport he might be interested in, and he consistently says baseball. I'm trying to get information about the little league in our area, but haven't had any response yet... We've thrown a ball a few times and batted, and he has a knack for it. Matt was in little league for years, and he (of course) was great at it.

They seem ready to get involved in things like this, and now that we are truly settled, it's a great time to start. And a great way to meet new friends!

I have to do a brag on Jacob... He got on the honor roll this marking period. I guess that stuff starts in 3rd grade! He is doing SO well on his school work, and really loves school. As soon as he gets home, he dives right into his homework without me having to say a word. I'm so proud of him.

When I was decorating the house with the outdoor lights, there was a strand that wasn't working. I told him it probably blew a fuse. (I blew a ton of fuses in California trying to string too many strands of lights together until my neighbor finally told me you shouldn't string anymore than three of them together or you'll blow fuses. Oops!) Jacob found the little compartment on the lights that contains the fuse and figured out - completely on his own - that one fuse is active, the other is an extra. He took out the blown fuse and replaced it with the extra, and voila! I couldn't believe it.

The kid quotes very specific factoids from the things he reads all the time - things about science, space, etc. I'm starting to think he has a photographic memory. I've always wished I could retain information that well.

Oh! Something else I've been meaning to write down... A while back, we got into the van and something stunk. I said to the kids, "Ewww - something stinks in here!" And Jacob, without missing a beat, said dryly, "Must be the extra tuna sandwich I keep under my seat." HAHAHAHA!!!! Oh my gosh - I hadn't laughed like that in a long time!

The other day, Jacob, Sydney and our neighbor Jessica were all playing on the set in the backyard and Jessica kicked Jacob in the head by accident (walking underneath her while she was on the monkey bars). He came into the house running and screaming like a little banchee. (He was OK, by the way. He has a tendency to overreact. I could just feel Matt roll his eyes at the scene.) I thought it was time I sit him down.

I said, "Come on in, sweetie - we need to have a talk." We sat down on the couch, and I said, "This is sort of like a father-son kind of talk but since Daddy's not here to do it, I'm it. If you were on the playground at school and you got hurt and reacted like that, your classmates would probably make fun of you for acting that way. You're eight years old now. You've got to learn to shake it off, tough it out and move on. I know you can do it - you're a tough kid!" He totally got it and smiled proudly like I told him a big secret. Then I said, "Now as your mommy, I'm gonna give you a big hug." I think it went well. I know there are other important talks we need to have soon - like about drugs, for example. When the elementary school gives you a supply list at the beginning of the year with Purell crossed out because they caught some kids sniffing it, it's probably best to have that talk sooner rather than later.

I am constantly blown away by the things my kids do and say, and I really need to start writing them down more often!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Daniel and Jacob sound so alike! He too has an amazing (and at times photographic) memory, and he overreacts when he's hurt, too! :) Your "talk" with Jacob sounded wonderful. You're doing an amazing job with this role you never asked for!

Andrea Renee said...

Thanks, Michelle!! =) XOXO