My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Altruism.

I'm not a religious person, but I do believe in God. I think God puts me in places that I need to be, and not just for me, but to help other people. Not sure where I'm going with this... It's just something in my heart that I wanted to write down.



OK, there's a little more to it...

I think I went to California for ME, but while there, I'd like to think I helped a few people out, and when I moved back to Buffalo, helped a bit more. The short time I was back living there, a friend I worked with lost her husband, who I also worked with. They are my age, too. After a long illness, he left her with three children - two of which were newly adopted. She is an amazing, courageous person who I admire. Her and her husband are both extremely creative and talented people who I always thought very highly of. Having lost my huband gave me the ability to be able to help her a little. More than I could have otherwise. I was so glad she decided to attend Camp Widow with me this past August, and I know she got quite a bit out of it. I know I got a lot out of it with her being there.

While I was living in California, I established some really beautiful friendships that will last the rest of our lives. My next door neighbor (who became more like family) is dating someone whose best friend passed away recently from cancer. He was young, too. His significant other was put in touch with me through my neighbor, and I'm so grateful. She also met me at Camp Widow in August, and I think she got quite a bit out of it, too. Ironically, her and my friend I used to work with have quite a bit in common, and they've been keeping in touch as a result.

This most recent move has also helped others, as well as myself. A friend I've known for 10+ years lost her husband and young son in an accident very recently. Living where I am now, I've been able to go to visit her and her remaining child a few times so far. They are such a sweet family, and I'm so grateful to have them in my life. I hope she decides to also attend Camp Widow, too. Her and her daughter are planning to move to California soon. When she first told me about the move, the first thing I thought was, "that's where all the widowed people must go!" She told me that the majority of her family lives there, so it makes even more sense for them. Either way, it's good, under their circumstances, to change their environment in a drastic way by going to the opposite coast.

There's more, but I'm too tired to write about it.

While I don't plan to move again for a VERY long time (if ever), I'd like to think I'm helping the people I encounter all along the way. That's what we (meaning people in general) are here for.

Life is HARD all on its own without the added drama some people impose on it, and I'd like to think that my purpose on earth is to raise happy, healthy children, and also contribute to some others who are struggling in some way, as it has been done for me.

No comments: