My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A great message...

One of my godmother's daughters sent me a note with a photocopied article. She said in the note, "Mom carried this in her wallet and we read it at her service."


COMES THE DAWN

After a while you learn the subtle
difference
Between holding a hand and
chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn't
mean security,
And you begin to learn that
kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes
open,
With the grace of a woman, not
the grief of a child,
And you learn to build all your
roads
On today because tomorrow's ground
Is too uncertain. And futures have
A way of falling down in mid-
flight,
After a while you learn that even
sunshine burns if you get too much.
So you plant your own garden
and decorate your own soul, instead
of waiting
For someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really
can endure . . .
That you really are strong,
And you really do have worth
And you learn and learn
With every goodbye you learn.

-Veronica A. Shoftstall

Thank you so much, Lynn. All of my love to your family.....

4 comments:

Dianne said...

My mom gave me a copy of that poem when I was a teenager. At the time, I thought it only had to do with the heartache of teenage angst and breakups. Now as an adult and parent, I read it with a completely different perspective. And when I think about the situation you (and other young widows) are in, it touches me even deeper. Thanks to you and Jackie (Mothering Nature) and Matt Logelin, I have been trying very hard to "build (my) roads on today because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain."

Suddenwidow said...

LOVE this. I haven't seen it in years. Like Dianne, I first saw this poem when I was a teenager and in my early 20's, when I broke up with a serious boyfriend, it help me get a grip. Of course now it is so much more meaningful. Thank you so much for posting it!!!

Janine (txmomx6) said...

Wow!!
That's about all I can say.
T.A.N.W.
Thank you, very, very much, Andrea.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

this poem has meant so much to me over the years. different meanings to me in my 20's and 30's and will probably hold a new meaning in my new acquired 40's. thanks for the chance to read it today...inspired me to go dig out my copy...i think i will have it printed and hang it on my wall. many blessing to you andrea.