My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ramblings...

Some people are inspired to write when things are going well and clam up when they're going through tough times. I've discovered I'm not necessarily one of them. I tend to have the urge to write more when I'm in turmoil. It's not that I don't want to share when things are good... quite the opposite. I'd LOVE to share when things are going well - I know there are lots of people that would be thrilled to hear good news for a change; but I feel like if I write about it, it will somehow jinx that good thing. Or, that someone will be jealous of the good thing (I partially blame jealousy for some of the bad things that happen, so in my mind, if I put it out there and someone becomes jealous, it could sabotage the good thing - I know... crazy). Or (and I think this is the main reason), that there are others that might get the impression that just because there's something new and extraordinarily good happening in my life that I don't hurt anymore. WRONG. I will never be "over" Matt's death. I am, however, beginning to learn to live with it.

I'd like to think that I'm the kind of person that isn't particularly concerned with what people think of me since I know in my heart what's right and I don't feel it's necessary for me to explain, but yet that's possibly one more reason why I haven't written about this good thing. I'm inclined to feel the need to explain, even though I know it's not necessary (and I resent feeling the need to explain myself in any situation), although I do like to be understood. Geez - and I thought I was a pretty uncomplicated person for the most part!

So, despite any negative repercussions of saying it out loud, I'm going to anyway, because it IS something unexpected and great, and I'm going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts and revel in it, and maybe it'll give someone else some hope who is as pessimistic as I was. I met a wonderful man. Before Matt, I was convinced I'd never meet someone like him, then I did. Then when he died, I thought I'd had my time in the sun with love for ten incredible years, and that it would have to last me the rest of my life since it seemed highly unlikely that there could be someone else out there I could be as compatible with. And that if I was ever fortunate enough to meet someone, that I'd have to wait until I'm old and wrinkled before meeting him. But lo and behold, bam! Out of nowhere. I'm so grateful. There - I said it! Now let's hope it lasts a while...

Hence, what I call the yo-yo effect. The up and down of the emotional roller coaster. Especially this month.

It's November. I HATE November. I hate the WORD November. I hate what it means. Another milestone. Two years this month. Honestly, the milestones all feel pretty similar. Two years is just as bad as one year - I still feel the same sense of time warp. It can't possibly be two whole years already, even though there are times when it feels like a lifetime ago. Was Matt really in my life or did I dream him? There's that, but it's more like I can't believe I'm living my life without him. I never pictured my life without him once he was in it. I still don't want to believe this is our reality, but it is. The main difference between this year and last year, is that I've made a conscious decision to live and continue with life. Matt is and always will be a part of our lives, but I need to live like I have a future, and not live for the past (although it's quite tempting a lot of the time).

I just turned 37. Matt was 39 when he died, but to think I'm catching up to his age is scary. He was always supposed to be 4 and a half years older than me. Always. And now there's a good chance I'll end up older than him. It doesn't seem right.

Jacob and Sydney continue to grow and change and thrive. I'm constantly amazed by these kids, and so grateful that they're mine. And at times a bit unnerved by the fact that someone apparently thought it was a good idea to put me in sole charge of them.

I just had Jacob's parent/teacher conference this week, and although I knew it would be pretty positive, I was still pleasantly surprised by some of the things she said. His teacher did a reading test on each child in the class, and the score is out of 100. On average, the hope at this stage of 1st grade is that the kids each score somewhere between 15 and 25. Jacob scored 85. 85!! He gets 100's on his math tests. The only issue is his behavior - that after he's told not to do something, he still tries to get away with doing it and not getting caught, but I'd think that's pretty normal. Heck - nobody's perfect! Sydney's parent/teacher conference is coming up soon, and I'm guessing it'll be pretty positive as well. I can't believe how much she's already learned in preschool. She comes home singing new songs, reciting the alphabet, recognizing more and more letters and numbers, counting with more fluency, and can just about spell her name. She's 3 1/2, and considering that I've done a fraction with her at home (academically) that I did with Jacob, she's picking up on it pretty fast. Jacob is also playing a huge role in teaching her, too. Especially math... Here's a recent conversation:

Jacob: "Sydney, what's two plus two?"

Sydney: "I don't know!"

Jacob: "Listen - Two plus two equals four... What's two plus two, Sydney?"

Sydney: "Ummm, FOUR!"

Speaking of conversations, this morning I overheard a conversation between Sydney and Jacob, and I was so impressed with her understanding of certain concepts, and her ability to articulate them. A little background... Jacob came into my room in the middle of the night last night complaining that his head and stomach hurt. After trying to convince him that going back to bed and going to sleep would help him feel better in the morning, he thought it was a better idea to sleep in my bed. It happens pretty rarely, so I let him (I'm usually falling asleep in his bed tucking him in...).

This morning, this was the conversation I heard while I was in the bathroom, and Jacob was still in my room.

Sydney: "Jacob, why are you in Mommy's room?"

Jacob: "I slept with Mommy in her bed last night."

Sydney: "Why?"

Jacob didn't answer.

Sydney: "Why aren't you telling me? Is it a secret?"

Jacob: "No..."

Sydney: "Then why aren't you telling me?"

Jacob likes explaining himself just as much as I do apparently...

That's all I heard, but to me, it just didn't sound like that was coming from a 3 and a half year old!

22 comments:

Boo said...

oh Andrea, it lifted my heart to read your "news" ... I wish for you ... I send you light and love ... to make it last <3

Harleygurl said...

You deserve someone special in your life to love and care for you! Someone to hold you tight when you feel the world is crushing down. I can not even begin to imagine your loss but I have read along with you thru your pain for a long time now. I hope this new special person helps to ease at least a little of that pain!

Cammie said...

I am so very happy for you Andrea. You are destined for happiness again I know it!!! Hoping you enjoy this unexpected bit of sunshine to the fullest!
xoxo

lessonsinlifeandlight said...

Andrea, I'm so happy that you met someone! No one expects you to live alone forever--you're young, your kids are small, and you have a very full life ahead of you. I'm really excited for you and can't wait to see what the future holds. And as always, Jacob and Sydney are adorable!

Jessa said...

I am happy to hear your news! You are right, you'll never "get over him" but you learn to live without them. Best of luck to you and the kiddos!

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing this update, Andrea! :) I hurt for you when you hurt, and I rejoice with you in your good news!! Love you!

Danielle said...

That is so wonderful to hear. You deserve to be happy again!

Joy said...

Andrea: So wonderful that you have something to smile about....well of course the kid's make you smile. But this special person may help with the pain and lonliness. I wish only good things for you. God Bless.

Joy

Glenda said...

congrats on the someone special in your life! everyone deserves to be happy. you are moving through life not getting over matt. sydney and jacobs convo's are the cutest. thanks for sharing!

Chillin' with Lemonade said...

Yay! Way to put it out there. I know how you feel about people thinking you must be over it or the feeling like if I say it I'll jinx it. No worries. Enjoy it!

Tazzy said...

I'm so happy for you!

I was hoping that was the news! When I saw you post "there's more" or something like that and then it disappeared, I was hoping you'd come back and tell us.

so happy for you and your kids!!!!

Mama_Bear_Sarah said...

geez ...in my head much? yikes! i feel like you just said everything i had been thinking ...like it was all just a dream somehow. and the part about the aging ...i was thinking about that again pretty hard yesterday. sistas from anotha motha fo sho!!

Janine (txmomx6) said...

Yay for you and yay for just taking it for what it is, while it is. That's how I'm handling my relationship ... enjoying what it brings to our lives each day. Who knows about tomorrow? We certainly know that no one does, right?
Also, I totally get the not writing when you're happier. I, too, seem to have less to write when things are going well. When things are bad the writing provides me with an outlet to get rid of the negative stuff building up .... or to at least let a little of it out.
When things are going well, it seems that my life is boring.
And yes, I think it's also that I don't want people to think that I'm suddenly "healed" from my grief if I'm happy. It's all one package .... that makes up me.
Loving your happiness ....
:)

Andrea Renee said...

Thank you!!! XOXO

Robin said...

Andrea, so happy to hear you have some new happiness in your life :)

AVM said...

I am so happy to read your news! You deserve every happiness! Much luck moving forward!

Anonymous said...

BAM!?! I ♥ bam.

Waldy

Dana said...

Andrea!! I am so happy to read your post! You are such a wonderful person, and your smile and laugh are contagious! Hugs to you girl!!

matheus said...

cool!

marcie said...

I pray for you and your family all the time. I do believe in God. Although I am not a religious person. I AM SO HAPPY for you that you have found someone who can make you feel good, even if it's not comparable to the love you had with Matt, it's wonderful and great that you are at this place right now... I hope it lasts forever.
love- Marcie

Crash Course Widow said...

I'm over a week late at reading this, but just wanted to say--GOOD FOR YOU, GIRL!! For all of it. The nice, new maaaaaaaan in your life; the awesome job you're doing with the kids; the kids in general; and how you're choosing to face and live your life--and Matt's death.

Many, many hugs to you, my friend!! Wish I could see you in person, but until next time...love ya, girl!

Boo said...

hi sweetie, just dropping by to check in on you. I know that the effect of reading through THAT paperwork will have been devastating, to say the least ... I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you <3