My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Things my kids say...

Sydney: "It was an accidink" instead of "accident."

Jacob: Instead of "tomorrow night" he says, "Tomorrow's night" ; instead of "last night," it's "yesterday's night, and instead of "tonight," it's "today's night." It's so 18th Century romantic.

Jacob woke up this morning and told me he dreamed about Daddy and all the things they did together in town. I always get excited when Jacob tells me he dreams about Matt, but it was especially exciting this morning because I felt him around us yesterday. It kind of confirmed for me that when I feel him near us, he really IS near us. I LOVE that.

Yesterday during dinner, the kids were talking about whether or not Matt would have liked the lamb chops... I said he might have, and then Sydney said, "If my daddy was alive and ate one, he might like it, but he's dead." She's said something else recently along the same lines, and that indicates to me that she's starting to grasp the concept of why he's absent from our lives. Before, she was always asking me where he is, and where everyone else's daddies are. It could be a temporary understanding, but from what I've read, that's pretty advanced for a three year old.

Yesterday, I had to explain to their teachers that their father passed away. Sydney's preschool has a "family unit" coming up, and Miss Jessica needed to be aware of her situation. I have to bring in a family picture for her class. Do I bring one in where she's less than 18 months old, which is when the last family picture was taken of all four of us? Or a picture of just her, Jacob and I?

I told Jacob's teacher for similar reasons, and also so she doesn't think he's lying when he blurts out that his daddy is dead.

In one month from today, it's gonna be two years already. This sucks.

2 comments:

megan said...

yes ma'am, it does.

Heather said...

I love that you are recording the cute things your kids say so you will always have them. It sounds like Jacob might be an old soul.

As for the rest of it, "it sucks," pretty much sums it up. ((Andrea))