My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

East Coast Trip - Part I

So, a week after the kids and I got back from the Arizona/San Diego/Arizona trip, we flew to Buffalo for our first visit back since our move to California a year ago. We've been home for a few days, and while I've been using the excuse of unpacking, getting caught up with stuff around the house, etc. for why I haven't sat down to write about it, I recently realized the real reason. I've been doing a great job of pushing back the emotions it stirred up.Well, I *was* doing a great job, then I wasn't for a while, but I'm good now.

It was as hard as I thought it would be, and it was better than I thought it would be, all at the same time.

The kids and I arrived on Thursday evening, and spent Friday and Saturday hanging out with friends and family. Sunday morning was the 5K, and I was completely stressed out about it. It was just about as difficult for me as the fist Run for Row for some reason. It was great to see everyone, but I just wish I could have had more time with everybody; especially since I had to leave early to go to the airport to catch my flight to New York City for the Mike Huckabee Show. I really wish I could have provided a link to the show we did, but it's still not available. As soon as it is (if ever), I'll post it. From what I heard from some people who were able to view it in the few select cities it was televised in, it turned out great. From my perspective being in the studio audience, Michele, Kim and Dana did a fabulous job describing what a huge benefit it is to attend Camp Widow, and how awesome the Soaring Spirits Loss Foundation is. It was great being there to cheer on my widda peeps. They had a camera on me the entire time, though, which was strange. Michele and I had some very similar experiences with our losses, so when she was describing certain things in detail, I couldn't hold back the tears. I was pissed because they did such a great job on my make up, and I was ruining it by crying.

The girls and I had a good time sharing stories about the car ride from the airport to the hotel... we each had foreign drivers, and of course, the subject came up about why we were there. Dana and I got an earful from our drivers about their perspective on our situations... things like, she'd better find a man before she hits 40 since her life will be over by then, and, if my husband hadn't died, I'd never have had the opportunity to go to NYC. Wow. Considering the vastly different culture we are familiar with, we let it go. (I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut, so I did explain to my driver as kindly as I could that I would MUCH prefer that my husband still be alive than to ever see NYC in my lifetime.)

We did have a great time in NYC during our very short visit... Sunday night, Dana and I toured Times Square since our hotel was on the corner of it (so awesome), and the rain held off long enough for us to get that in. Then we all met at Michele's brother's bar in Manhattan for a delicious dinner and an awesome drink named after his new baby girl. It rained buckets, but it was still a great time! The next morning, it rained even harder. Dana and I, since we were staying at the same hotel, met in the lobby that morning. We ventured to Starbucks with our hotel-issued umbrellas to get some coffee, and then to a street vendor for an authentic NYC bagel I've heard so much about (they're all that and more, too... mmmmm). As we headed back to the hotel with bags, coffees and umbrellas in hand, we were walking against the rain so we were getting even more drenched. Just as we were nearing the door to the hotel, some kid ran passed me and bumped the arm I was holding my coffee in and it splashed onto my shirt (we were dressed for the taping of the Huckabee Show, but fortunately I had decided shortly before that I was going to change my shirt anyway). Not three seconds after that, Dana was opening the door to the hotel, tipped her umbrella back to go in the doorway, and all the water on her umbrella dumped down my shirt. It actually was hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing! It was seriously like a comedy (as long as I was in TV mode)...

Just after the taping, we got to meet The Cake Boss (who I never heard of until then) who is a totally down to earth guy who can just so happen bake and decorate a cake like a GENIUS. He lost his dad when he was 17, and he was sharing his and his mom's experience with us. I've really got to start watching more television... It's embarrassing that I have no idea who any of these people are that others talk about, but I guess it's good news for any celebrities I might bump into (especially living in LA). I wouldn't know them from anyone else, so they wouldn't have to worry about me gawking or asking for autographs!

Right after the taping was done for the show, I was driven back to the airport to catch my flight back to Buffalo.

Seeing as how it's taken me forever to write this much, I'm going to end here for now. Little bites... More to come soon.

4 comments:

Boo said...

I've been checking your blog daily to see if you'd posted yet ... knowing that you were riding the tsunami and my heart went out to you each day that you hadn't posted.

So glad you have come up for air and that you're climbing back out of the darkness ... enough to write.

Hugs and light
Boo xxx

Mama_Bear_Sarah said...

um, i LOVE the Cake Boss! can't believe you didn't tell me. he's fabulousity!!

Andrea Renee said...

Thank you so much for checking on me, Boo - you are such a sweetheart! Love you!

Sarah - I totally forgot! I had so many experiences after that, that one got diluted...

Dana said...

Andrea! Thank you for the laugh about the umbrella! That outing was too much! It was a great short trip, and I am so thankful we got the chance to chat!!