My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Learning to Fly.

I am a bird with two broken wings. 
With love and encouragement from those around me, 
they lift me up. 
They nurse my injuries tenderly and lovingly. 
I choose to listen to the positive voices around me and inside me.
They guide me.  
Though my wings were shattered, I flew the coop. 
In my new nest, my wings continue to heal 
with the love of those around me before, 
plus those around me now. 
Those that I choose to let into my life.
I've had to learn to compensate for my injuries and adapt. 
This has made me stronger. 
I've learned other ways to get where I need to be.
Slowly my wings feel stronger and more steady. 

There are still many times I fall, but I persevere. 
Because it's worth it, even when it doesn't seem to be. 
Worth the heartache, adversity, uncertainty.
Maybe someday my wings will heal, but not without scars. 
The scar tissue will strengthen them further,
and make them more beautiful.
Maybe someday I can even soar like I did 
before my wings got broken, 
but I'll soar in a new direction.
And if my wings should break again, I will persevere, 
repeating the steps above, perhaps skipping a few. 
All this from love, through love, for love, with love.

7 comments:

MandyMy said...

I absolutely love this!!

Stacey said...

Wow, I needed to read that today. Did you write it? It is inspiring.

Andrea Renee said...

I did... I'm glad it's inspiring to others! I just have to remember to read it again during my down moments...

Paulett said...

Andrea,

What more can words say it was beautiful!!! I think of you and the kids often. You are all in my prayers.

Paulett

Sharon Ward said...

This is absolutely one of the most beautiful poems I have ever read. You need to write poetry more often. It just fascinated me. I need to frame your words and refer to them everyday. Thank you.

Julie said...

Absolutely beautiful. And exactly what we were talking about on that gorgeous beach today. You will fly with broken wings, you will drive with no hands. You will, and you are. xo

Andrea Renee said...

Thank you...

These are the words I need to repeat to myself over and over and over:
"Because it's worth it, even when it doesn't seem to be.
Worth the heartache, adversity, uncertainty."