My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Seaons of Solace.

This is a book of poems and pictures, written by Janelle Shantz Hertzler. Janelle had asked me to do an interview with her a while back, and she asked some thought-provoking questions that I was happy to answer. This is one widow that is making a difference in other widowed people's lives, but I should speak for myself and say she has made a difference in mine.

Her poems have the ability to express such immensely deep descriptions of emotions in such few words. It's truly amazing. She is able to express in just 75 pages some of the things that I have been feeling right along that I haven't been able to express in all the posts I've written so far on this blog. The pictures she took to accompany her poems are just as touching, too.  It's incredible how a loss like ours can inspire some spark of creativity and talent that may have been dormant all along.

Janelle is truly gifted, and she is sharing her gift with everyone through her book.  I know I'm not doing any justice to what she has done with my description, but I feel that anyone who has lost a spouse or suffered the loss of a loved one, or who wants to attempt to understand what a widowed person might be feeling, can benefit by reading her book. It shows in such honesty her evolution from trying to make sense of a senseless situation to the peace and wisdom attained by it.

I've read it a few times, and will keep reading and rereading it, because I still have so much to learn. Thank you, Janelle. I am grateful for your gift, but I am deeply sorry for what it took for you to give it to us.

No comments: