My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Jacob's birth.

Matt and I were married for a year before we decided to start our family. When we decided it was time, I was so excited at the prospect of getting pregnant, having a baby and being a mom. For some reason, though, I had this seed of doubt that I would be able to get pregnant - not sure why, except that you don't know what that journey will be like until you're on it. I know many women who struggled to get pregnant. As excited as Matt was at the prospect of me becoming pregnant, he was also pretty nervous. I assured him, "Don't worry Babe - it doesn't always happen on the first try. We could be at it a year before anything happens."


Well, it did happen on the first try! I couldn't wait to test because I just "knew" - I felt different. Took the test first thing in the morning of September 25, 2003 (around 5am because I couldn't wait any longer), and Matt was still asleep. When it came up positive, I couldn't believe it!! We really did it! I was pregnant!! I crawled back into bed and cuddled up to Matt and woke him up with the thumping of my heart because it was pounding out of my chest. He asked me what was up, and I told him the test came up positive. He actually said, "Those things aren't that reliable - test again tomorrow." Ha! He was in disbelief, too.

I felt incredible the whole time I was pregnant with Jacob. In fact, I don't think I ever felt better in my whole life. It was the happiest time ever for me. I never felt so beautiful, and in reality, I looked like hell because I ended up with acne from the hormones. Food never tasted so good. I enjoyed eating more than I ever did and gained 46 pounds from conception to his early birth. The fact that another human being was growing inside my body, who was a part of Matt (yes, I felt that even when he was alive) and part of me, was such a miracle to me and I relished in every moment of the experience.

I started showing pretty early on, and Matt said it was because I "willed my belly out." He knew I couldn't wait to start showing and to be sporting the big belly. I got my wish! My only discomforts were the maternity pants that wouldn't stay up, heartburn, and sinus issues and some pretty bad bloody noses - one of which brought me to the ER (but didn't require packing like when I was pregnant with Sydney).

My water broke at 36 weeks. Matt and I were just getting into bed around 11pm, I felt a gush, and jumped back out of the bed (I hadn't moved that fast in a long time up to that point!). We were so excited!! I remember it all like it just happened. I had always wondered if my water would break, and if it did, when it would happen, where I would be, and if Matt would be there or if I'd have to page him. I was so lucky it happened with Matt right there in front of me! In fact, I was so excited that it didn't even occur to me to worry because I was a whole month early. I'm so thankful for that, because it would have really sucked the thrill out of the whole experience.When the contractions got closer together, we headed to the hospital. 

Labor was progressing well, but I ended up getting stuck at 4 centimeters for what seemed like a long time. I ended up getting the epidural which allowed my body relief from the pain, and I dilated to 10cm almost instantly. The nurse told me when I start feeling pressure to let her know, and I told her I had been feeling pressure for a while. She checked me and I was ready to push!



I looked over at Matt standing by the wall watching, and he reached down. At first I thought he was going to pass out and that's why he reached down, but I should have known better - he wasn't squeamish at all. He was reaching for the camera! I told him he had better not even dare to attempt to take a picture of what was going on down there. I pushed a couple of times, and the nurse noticed I was "pushing with my face" so she did this cool thing where she rolled a bed sheet up into a big rope, and the nurse held one end and I held the other. She said, "Don't let go or I'll go flying!"

Matt thought that was so cool - I remember him talking about that part of the labor often because it got me to push the correct way. I only had to push for ten minutes, and out he popped - the whole process from the time my water broke until he was born was only about 12 hours! Jacob was born at 10:54 am on May 3, 2004, weighed 6 lb 11 oz, and was 20 inches long. It's probably a good thing he was four weeks early or he would have been much bigger! I saw him for a brief minute, and they took him away to get him all checked out since he was early. He was perfectly fine except for a little bit of low blood sugar.

He didn't actually have a name for a while after he was born. The whole time he was getting checked out (which was HOURS), Matt and I agonized over what to name him. We had talked about names quite a bit throughout the pregnancy, but were not 100% sold on one name for a boy or a girl. We loved the name Jacob, but it was the number one popular name at the time, and we didn't want him to be Jacob #4 in his classroom someday. But as hard as we tried, we didn't like another name better, and it seemed to fit him so well, so Jacob it was. (Amazingly enough, he is the only Jacob in his kindergarten class!)

He has been a joy in our lives ever since. I've told Jacob often that his daddy and I couldn't wait to have him. Once in a while, he asks me, "Did you and Daddy want me so bad?" and my answer is always a resounding, "YES! We wanted you our whole lives. You made us SO happy when you were born." I love the smile on his face when we have this conversation.

8 comments:

Kris said...

Beautiful, Andrea. Just beautiful Cherish those memories. They are priceless!

Thinking of you -
Kristin

Suddenwidow said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Jacob! Pregnancy and childbirth can be such special times, as families are created and couples become Mom and Dad. Thank you for sharing your precious memories, Andrea.

Supa Dupa Fresh said...

What a great story. My labor was really fast, too. Maybe 10 hours TOTAL. And we didn't give her a name for a full day, even though we'd already narrowed it down to 10 choices (she was a few days late).

Happy birthday, darling!

X

Supa

lessonsinlifeandlight said...

Wow, that last couple of lines totally made me tear up--how sweet! Brent and I are trying right now (but no one really knows--I don't want the pressure, lol). I'm really skeptical we'll succeed on the first try too.

Such a sweet story!!!

Glenda said...

Beautiful memories to cherish for a lifetime. Thanks for sharing. For my first my water broke to. Luckily I was home. He was born 7 hrs later. Not bad for #1. ;) #2 she came an hour after I got to the hospital, and 3 hrs after my first contraction. Have a Happy Mother's Day! XX

Danielle said...

Happy Birthday Jacob! And Happy Mothers Day Andrea!

Shannon said...

Isn't it wonderful to recapture the birth of your children? Both of mine were C-Sections. But it was still bittersweet. I can't believe my Nico will be 5 on May 16th and Abbie will be 2 in Sept. Time flies by so quickly. I am sure Matt is SO proud of you Andrea. You are doing such a fantastic job with your children. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! Your very blessed to have those little munchkins!

giftofgreen said...

What a great post for Mother's Day, Andrea! Happy Mother's Day to a wonderful mother!