My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Camp Widow

I recently wrote a review about my experience last July at the first national conference on widowhood by the Soaring Spirits Loss Foundation (SSLF)

It's an annual event (currently dubbed "Camp Widow"), and I'm so looking forward to the next one happening this August. Not only will I get some insight into why the second year of widowhood seems harder in a lot of ways than the first (a subject for another post), but I'll also get to meet some people that I've talked to (and some I've become friends with) - either by phone, Facebook, blog, etc. - and haven't had a chance to meet yet, and see some of my friends from the last conference. Plus, I finally get to meet and hang out with my friend Sarah!

The SSLF also has developed the Widow Match program in which they match up widowed people according to their circumstances. NOT a dating thing at all, but just helping people connect so they have someone to talk to that can understand where they're coming from so they don't feel completely alone in this hell.

For my fellow widowed readers, not only do I recommend that you attend Camp Widow, but I also recommend that you take a look at Widow Voice, which is a blog with several writers, who all give a different perspective on widowhood. Some posts are humorous, some take you into the depths of emotion, but all will touch you. I've had a lot of "AHA!"  moments reading some of their posts.

Thank you, Michele Hernandez, for putting this all together and helping so many of us!


(Talk about a whole lotta links!!)

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Hurray! I'll be there too! A lot of widows have written about the conference on their blogs this week. I can't wait to meet everyone!

Suddenwidow said...

I look forward to meeting you there! I know it's going to be an amazing weekend! It's is interesting to hear and see friends' and family's responses when I tell them I'm going to Camp Widow. It's another of those "DGI" moments for many, while some think it's amazing to have this opportunity. I agree with the latter. See you in San Diego!

Debbie

Michele Neff Hernandez said...

Thanks Andrea...love this post and love you to bits! Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!