My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Good News and Bad News...

Which do you want first? There are a couple of sets...



Bad News - After months of procrastinating, I finally sat down and did the math (income vs. expenses) now that I know what my expenses are out here. It ain't pretty, which is why I procrastinated doing it, but it had to be done. I knew I had enough to get out here and get established, but living on just Social Security and Workers' Comp payments isn't cutting it; thus the urgency to figure out a way to supplement before I get into trouble.

Good News - I figured out a way to supplement my income and still be able to be home with my kids without having to put Jacob into an after school program and Sydney in daycare all day... I'm starting my own business! Independent college counseling for students with learning differences. It's what I did in Buffalo for seven years, except I was employed by The Gow School (a private boarding school for dyslexic and other language based learning different boys). I loved my job.

Bad News - I received a "Request for Further Action" in the mail from the Workers' Compensation Board that indicated that they want to decrease or cease altogether the payments the kids and I receive from them because of Matt's death on the job.

Good News - After my attorney's review of the document, he informed me that they are required by law to continue payments to us.

Bad News - Someone at Cameron International, the company Matt worked for at the time he was killed, initiated the request. Can you believe that? I'm so hurt and angry that I can hardly see straight. Most likely it came from their corporate headquarters in Houston.

6 comments:

Dianne said...

I have been a lurker for a long time, but need to de-lurk today. First, each time I read your blog, I am inspired by you to appreciate all of the small things in my life as I realize how quickly it can all change. I also recognize how hard it must be for you to raise your little ones without Matt. I have a Kindergartener and a 4 yr old and appreciate sharing the parenting with my husband.

About your Goods: Congrats on tackling the analysis of your finances. That must have been a huge job to sit down and do. And, congrats on finding such an elegent solution to your job situation! I hope your appointment schedule is quickly filled to your desired point each week!

About your Bads: It is absurd that THAT company would try to deprive you of benefits after already depriving you of your precious Matt. I am glad that you have a lawyer to assist you with getting the funds you are certainly entitled to!

Thank you for allowing me to lurk and for teaching me to appreciate the small moments everyday.

letterstoelias said...

Andrea,

You should ask you lawyer if you would have a case to sue for putting you though all the added stress from them being such jerks. Honestly - I can't imagine how they would expect to be able to stop making payments! He died on the job!

SO sorry you have to deal with all of that. Nice to hear the solution to the income issue though, it sounds like a good fit.

Hope all is well with the kids otherwise - I've been a little 'mia' from the net with the yr anniversary of Elias' death . . . but I had to comment on how outrageous that is. Take Care,
~C~

Kristel said...

Have they ever tried to settle with you? In my experiences, and mine are not the same because no one has ever been killed in an industrial accident where I work, but worker's comp payments eventually cease once some sort of settlement is reached. Just wondering. That seems really, really lame for them to do that, without engaging with you. But, then again, I kinda expect that from them. ((Hugs)) A. xoxo

Glenda said...

So excited about your job solution. I wish you only the best. I can't believe the company Matt worked for...how can they deprive you and your children from the benefits of workers comp??!! If that's the least they can do for your family they should. ughhh! Have a great weekend!

Cliff Fazzolari said...

Andrea - I'm so sorry that anyone would even consider such a thing - the world can be a cold, cruel place. They can't ever possibly get away from such a responsibility. Disgusting. Walk tall - you'll be fine.

Helen said...

Andrea, I am stunned and sickened that Cameron would attempt to shirk their responsibility to you, Jacob and Sydney! Is there anything I can do to help?

Congrats on starting your own business! I know that you will do great!

Helen