My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Jeff Fazzolari

Today marks the first anniversary of my friend Jeff's death. Jeff and I worked together at The Gow School for about six years.

His wife, three young children, brothers, sisters, parents, friends have all been on my mind and on my heavy heart more than usual the past week.

Jeff was such a good man - fun, smart, honest, talented chef, so down to earth, and freakishly awesome at beer pong and foosball (I've played this game since I was four and somehow I'm still unsure how to spell the word). For the record, he was one of the only people I've played to actually have kicked my ass at that game.

His famous opening line was, "How YOU doin'?" and his famous last words were, "Whattya gonna do."

When I was pregnant, he was willing to make chocolate pudding for dessert at the dining hall whenever I demanded it (without the stupid chocolate chips - it's a texture thing), and the chocolaty zucchini bars that I was convinced he was messing with me that there was actually zucchini in them.

He and his wife gave me a couple of bags of hand-me-downs for our kids, and he put them in my unlocked van for me one afternoon at work. It was so nice of him to do that; especially since I was running late from taking care of SAT's, and in light of his bad back. When I finally got to my van, however, I discovered not only the bags, but that he had re-adjusted my car seat, all the mirrors, windshield wipers, and anything else that he was able to adjust. It took me at least ten minutes to get everything back to where it was so I could go home.

The next time he offered me hand-me-downs, I graciously declined.

Because of him, I have a new appreciation for Bruce Springsteen and ice sculptures. Because of him, I've made a couple more really great friends.

I hope he and Matt are having a beer together, and that he didn't get his ass kicked by my sasquatch.

Miss you, Jeff. You are one of the good guys. Please tell Matt I said Hi and I love you. I hope to have a great meal when I get to where you guys are.

Carrie and Cliff, I've been thinking and praying for you guys, and for all the Fazzolaris.

Love and peace to each and every one of you.

...I've had a few glasses of wine in your honor tonight, Jeff.... (hiccup)

4 comments:

Glenda said...

Thinking of you and Jeff's family. Hoping he and Matt are partying it up!

Shannon said...

WHat the hell is going on? Is it everyone losing loved one's these days? So sad and depressing! I have been in a funk lately. I feel for you and for these people who I don't een know who the hell they are. My husband tells me I take too much to heart. How can I not? WHen someone is suffering, I suffer too. God bless you Andrea, I know you are a strong girl, but deep down, I know you get lonely and angry and it IS unfair. You are an inspiration to us all. I tell you all the time, even if it's not what you want to hear, but you really do amamze me with your strength. I am not so sure I could do the same. Lots of love to you.

Carrie Lynn Fazzolari said...

You are amazing! I laughed so hard to hear that he got you with the adjustment of all the car things - it was classic to have the heat turned on full blast in the middle of the summer, and the AC on full blast in the middle of the winter... I am glad you got to see what an awesome guy he was. Thank you for the smiles, and for letting me hear about some memories you have of him. I am SURE he and Matt are having a couple beers together!

Rick said...

Great story, Andrea. What a gift Jeff had to make us all laugh at the dining hall! I give my dear friends Matt and Jeff a toast at least once a week, no sees me, but I'd like to think Jeff and Matt do.
By the way, I think I may have beat you in atleast one game of foosball...