My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Monday, February 1, 2010

One helluva week.

Monday, Jacob wasn't feeling great, but I sent him to school since he didn't have any "real" symptoms of being sick. Plus, Mondays are a half day, anyway. By the time I got him home, he was feeling worse. That afternoon he started running a high fever (103.5) and after I gave him some Children's Motrin, he put himself to bed at 3:45pm and told me not to expect him up again until the next morning. He did end up waking up around 6:00pm, and had perked up a bit. I was relieved, but decided then to keep him home from school the next day just in case.

Tuesday, little bit more of a fever, but early that afternoon he was nearly in tears about how bad his throat hurt. Now, this kid doesn't complain. He could feel lousy and I'll ask him how he's doing, and he'll answer, "Pretty good." Just like his daddy that way... I took a flashlight and looked in his throat, and saw several tiny bright red dots back there. Not good.

I called the pediatrician and she said, "Sounds like strep. How soon can you get him here?" About a half-hour later, we had gotten there and he was tested for strep and it popped up positive immediately. (I had to laugh - the strep test looks like a pregnancy test with two lines indicating a positive result. I said, "Oh my god - he's pregnant!" LOL) They decided to test Sydney as well, even though she had no symptoms at that point. Hers was positive, too. My poor kiddos. The doc recommended that Jacob stay home from school the rest of that week since strep is so contagious. On top of that, Jacob also had a sinus infection. Doc tested me for strep and it was negative, thank goodness, but I've been fighting something off all week, too.

Saturday morning, Connie (one of my best friends in NY) called to tell me that our other best friend Karin had her third baby about an hour before! A baby boy named Quinn John.  We've always been there for each other's pregnancies and births. In fact, Karin and I were pregnant at the same time and her first son and my son were born only ten days apart. For a short time, all three of us were pregnant at the same time! I'm sad to think I won't get to meet Quinn in person until August when he'll already be about seven months old.

Both kids on antibiotics, cooped up in the house, and mommy not feeling up to par, either. But I knew by Saturday night, my kids would be well enough to leave with a babysitter for the evening so I could take advantage of the opportunity to get out of the house with some of the best friends I've made out here. By Saturday, I was starting to feel a little worse, but I wasn't about to cancel. I figured maybe if I drank enough, it would kill whatever was brewing inside me (it's worked before, believe it or not!). So after taking a couple Sudafed and some Motrin, I was feeling better and headed out.

We went out to the coolest little bar in town for a few drinks, and then went to dinner. I ordered crab enchiladas, which were delicious, and the margaritas we got with them were just as good. We were having a great time, then headed back to one of my friends' houses after dinner. While we were hanging out there, I started feeling AWFUL. I ended up sick. Very sick. More than just drink sick - it had to have also been food poisoning. I'd never been so sick in my life. Fortunately, I have wonderful friends. One even held my hair back for me. They took such good care of me, even when I got really mad at them for wanting to move me from the cold tile of the bathroom floor that felt oh so good.

One of them brought me home, helped clean up, tucked me in, and came back the next day to bring me seltzer water and hang out with me. What an angel.

I also found out that morning that my brother ended up going to the ER Saturday night because of an infection in his armpit that was making him very sick all week. He had been running a high temperature for several consecutive days and felt like he got hit by a truck. The antibiotics the doctor gave him hadn't touched it. So right now, he sits in the hospital, waiting for answers. His wife is fighting her own round of strep, their son had a touch of the stomach flu, and so far, I think their daughter is the only one that's been healthy. I told my brother that we almost ended up in the ER together that night!

I'll probably be calling my doc soon since I'm almost positive I'm getting a sinus infection, but it seems that everyone else is on the mend. However, my brother could use some good thoughts and prayers. It's making me nervous that he is having such bad pain in his neck now...

UPDATE on my brother: He's got some sort of soft tissue infection (cellulitis/staph/MRSA?), and they need to keep him in the hospital until they're sure what antibiotic will be effective. Not sure how long that will be yet... When they do let him come home, he'll have a nurse come to the house to administer antibiotics intravenously. My poor brother!

7 comments:

Lia said...

I don't comment much but...I am sorry to hear that people have been so sick! That really sucks! I'll be praying for everyone's quick recovery...including your brother.

I was thinking you getting so sick Saturday could very well have been the mixture of the motrin, sudafed and alcohol. Even if you didn't drink that much a lot of times the mixture of that stuff in your system can not do too well.

I'll be praying for ya'll!

HeidiDater said...

Oh goodness, you had your share of the icks this past week! Hope everyone is on the road to recovery in your house--and your brother's house as well!

Danielle said...

I have heard that it is going around. I hope that you all get better soon.

Suddenwidow said...

Sending you positive, healing thoughts, for all of your family! I know what it's like to have everyone down, and it's especially hard being a single parent. Take care and be good to yourself!
Debbie

Anglea said...

Oh gosh....what a rough week, Andrea! I'm so sorry you've had all that to deal with. But SO incredibly grateful that you have such good friends out there to help you through it. Also glad they are figuring out what's going on with your brother and are being proactive in treating it. Hope everyone is well very, very soon! (((HUGS)))

Shannon said...

Poor you,
I remember a few weeks ago, we were ALL sick at the same time! YUCK! That is the worst! My sister had MRSA that she contracted during ONE of her stays in the hospital while fighting her Cancer. THAT was shitty. I hope your brother is okay. The thing about some MRSA is it is risillience to antibiotics, which is why they didn't work the first time the doctor administered them. I will pray for your brother...and you! Hope your all well soon! Shannon

Carrie Lynn Fazzolari said...

I hope you're all feeling much better, and that your brother is also on the mend. Being that sick really sucks. It's good to know that you use my method of getting over a sickness - usually, the alcohol kills everything! LOL.

Not sure if you've tried it, but the NetiPot is one of my favorite, favorite things! It clears out the sinuses if you do it a couple times a day... and believe me, some of the stuff that comes out NEEDS to come out. (It's kind of gross, but also quite pleasing in a sadistically gross kind of way...) Anyway, try it and I'm sure to be one of your new favorite friends!