My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

So gross... read at your own risk.

All the rain we're getting right now in Southern California reminds me of the last time we had measurable rain here a few weeks ago...

When the movers packed up our things, they also packed up a large, empty plastic garbage can that I intended to leave at our old house. Since I was already aware that the new place came with city-issued bins for trash, recycling and yard waste, I knew I wouldn't need it here. The garbage trucks around here have a mechanical arm that pick up the specific bin and dump it into the back of the truck. Even if I used that other garbage can from the old house, it wouldn't get emptied.  Until I figure out what to do with it, it's just been sitting outside next to the other bins.

So, a few weeks ago, we had quite a bit of rain, and since I didn't have the lid on the old garbage can, the water accumulated inside. I learned from my mother-in-law who lives in Arizona that you can use the rain water to water the plants in the house and yard to help conserve. Here I think I'm doing something good for the environment...

(OK, here's the gross part - don't click on "read more" if you don't think you can handle it.)


I was about to use that water, but when I looked inside the garbage can, I saw a big furry something floating in it. UGH. It was something I really didn't think I could handle, so I was going to ask my brother to take care of it for me, but I just didn't have the heart to do that to him.

A couple evenings later when I built up the nerve, I dumped out the water, and out spilled the poor little squirrel that had fallen in and drowned. What are the odds, really, of a squirrel falling in there and drowning? Only in my trash can, of course.

I couldn't bring myself to do anything with it yet (one step at a time, right?), so I went easy on myself and decided to deal with it the next day after I gave some thought about how to dispose of the poor thing.

The next day while the kids were busy in the house, I sneaked outside to face the dead squirrel. Only when I looked at the spot where I left it, it wasn't there anymore! I'm guessing the cat that I've caught a few times in the yard took care of it for me. I suppose for now, I'll forgive the mangy cat for using our sandbox as its litter box.

That's one of the very few examples I've experienced of, "if you ignore it, it will go away."  =)-

9 comments:

Heather said...

For future reference, squirrels are garbage as opposed to yard debris.

Yes, there is a reason I know this. Not long after we bought our first house, James was watering the lawn and when I went to move the sprinkler I noticed a plant I didn't remember being there before. Turns out he was watering a dead squirrel. We had to ask around to find out how to dispose of it properly. :)

Supa Dupa Fresh said...

Ugh. Reminds me of the time a rat died on the roof right outside my daughter's room. He was kind of flat, and frozen stiff. She noticed, of course, and wanted to know if he was sleeping.

What's a single Mom to do?

Fortunately a high wind blew it into the driveway before it thawed.

You know you're a widow when you have NO idea how to handle a dead animal. YUCK.

X

Supa

Kimberly said...

Been there, done that. Same thing, rain barrel, dead bloated furry tailed squirrel. It was so waterlogged it looked too big to be a squirrel. I dumped the can over (and freaked out) and left it. My puppy went outside and was able to reach it, thank you Oliver...he brought it to my back step. I was SCREAMING, so I got a shovel and threw it over my fence on to the alley. Eww, eww, eww. I was thinking to myself also, WHAT ARE THE ODDS!!

Notes From the Grove said...

If it makes you feel any better, I stuck my hand in dog poo the other day :o(~

By the way, I've decided to make my blog private. If you'd like to be added as a reader, I'd love to have you! You can email me at brentsgirl2008@gmail.com. I'll send you the invite :o)

jawyllie said...

Could have been one of those coyotes too. They'll eat anything! Wow, what a day, huh?

Anonymous said...

OH I can top this one..a couple of summers ago..we had a smell in the house - hmmmm we looked and looked! I cleaned under the sink, one rotten potatoe ( well maybe)! Smelt went away, we would away come home and again a terrible smell! We had company over and each time I would ask - "can you smell it" - some could/some could not! Long story/shorter version - My hubbie found it in the basement which is finished in the furnace room, in the furnace duc thingy! OMG he could barely pick it up as it was so mushy........ugh the smell was horrible. BUT at last it was gone...
Deb from Canada
And the little buggers have chewed holes in two screen doors and 3 screens from windows. I now no longer feed them...

Shannon said...

Around here, we deal with SKUNKS!!!Yeah, you heard me right! Imagine finding one of those buggers dead in your backyard from the neighbors cat attacking it...after it sprayed and stinks up the entire house..in and out! LORD that is painful! Sorry you had to deal with that, but hey, chalk that up to one more obstacle you come across...right? Just saying!!!!

Jennifer M Karn said...

I know what you mean by ignoring it and it will go away. I have never in my life been like that. But, these last 17 months I don't have the energy to deal with things. I leave them be and hope they will just go away. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Be well.

Kelly said...

Ew. Those poor squirrels, always getting into trouble. My parents had one try to get into a hole in the soffet (sophet?) under their roof. His head got stuck in the hole, and he died right there, hanging out of the hole. Bah.