My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Jacob the Engineer, Sydney the Comedian

Jacob loves the Santa Fe train he got for Christmas. It's electric, and we're going to set it up on a table in the garage. While he's disappointed he didn't get two more train cars for his Polar Express, he's thrilled with the Santa Fe; especially since we saw the real thing while driving back from Arizona in November.

The other morning, Jacob woke up at the crack of dawn (as usual), and came into my room to show me his latest creation. He built an airplane/fighter jet out of Legos that could also "swim," and the person manning the craft was a woman. As he described to me all of the little working parts of the craft (the gas tanks, the propellers that turn from the little fan inside, and other amazing little details), he referred to the person in control as "she" and "her." I asked him who she was. We came up with the term "warrior" to best define her. Usually when boys do this type of pretend play/imagination stuff, isn't it usually a man that they dream up doing all the creating, fighting, building, winning? I think it's pretty cool (and somewhat significant) that he thinks of that person as female.

Sydney said the most hilarious thing yesterday - she often asks me, "What are you doing?" when I'm driving, eating, or other basic things. Yesterday while the three of us (well,  more like the two of us since Sydney doesn't like crab meat) were feasting on steamed crab legs and grilled salmon for dinner - a very special treat for Jacob and I - she asked me, "What are you doing?"

I answered, "I'm eating. What are you doing?"

She replied, "Uh, NOT eating."

HA! She is only two and a half, and she's already so witty with a great sense of humor.

(Jacob was watching me type this, and he was getting excited about the words he could recognize: Jacob, Sydney, Polar Express and even Santa Fe!)

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love the comment by Sydney.

I think Jacob's commander is a woman because he has such a great role model in his mommy. :)

Anonymous said...

Andrea, you are a superhero--it's no wonder that Jacob's warrior is a woman!
--Waldy