My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Fraud.

This morning I retrieved a voice mail message from my credit card company advising me of some potentially fraudulent transactions on my card. Being a little afraid that the message itself was fraudulent, I decided to call the number on the back of my credit card instead of the one they told me to call. Turns out, the call was legit.



They asked me if I made a purchase from a store in Illinois that was over a thousand dollars. Um, nope! Wasn't me!

Freaking credit card fraud. I'll be calling the credit reporting agencies first thing tomorrow to make sure it's "just" credit card fraud, and not identity theft. Doesn't this asshole know that I'm a widow with two small kids, just quit my job and moved to a town across the country a few months ago to try to make a new life for myself?

The sewer backed up into my new (old) little house the beginning of this week, and the house needs re-plumbed in the near future. I've been denied health insurance by Anthem because of "pre-existing conditions" (which is pathetic since my conditions include reflux and stress - it's not like I had cancer for chrissake, people!) so when I finally find someone to give me coverage, I'll be paying through the nose. And that's just a fraction of the stuff I'm dealing with. Well, I guess that's life...

When people pull crap like credit card fraud and identity theft (or any other kind of crime for that matter), they obviously don't take into consideration the things going on in their victim's life. Couldn't they pick on someone who's just coasting along, makes a million bucks, and has no other worries in the world? Is there actually anyone in the world that fits that description? Everyone's got a story; there are just a few that choose to tell it.

The moral of this story is: DON'T STEAL!

14 comments:

Cammie said...

So sorry Andrea. You dont need this on your plate too

The Jagow Family said...

Oh Andrea, I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you! I'm crossing my fingers that it was only that credit card and nothing more! I've only commented on your site once before (we have a little girl named Sydney too and we helped her learn to spell her name to tune of Mickey Mouse...not sure you remember that one...if so, hope it went well for your Sydney too...okay, enough rambling :)), but felt like saying something this morning. I enjoy reading your blog, good days and bad days...all days! I think and pray for your family daily...today I will say extra prayer. I'm certain that this person has messed with the wrong girl....fraud just makes me mad too! Good luck!!!

PurpleDogMommy said...

I'm so sorry...:( Will your c/c company cancel the charges once they verify that you didn't make the purchase?

We were the victims of ID theft a couple of years ago. It wasn't even near that amount, but it was a long time before we got our $$ back. I hope you are able to rebound quickly.

Sarah said...

Oh no! I hope it's resolved quickly. Hopefully, it's not identity theft (credit card theft is bad enough!)

Lorie said...

Something similar happened to me last year and it is such a pain!! Take advantage of your free yearly credit report. That is how I found out someone had opened a phone account under my name at a place I lived at over 7 yrs ago. I would love to catch these people!! Good luck.

Glenda said...

So sorry to hear. Hope it's only the c/c fraud. Happened to me several years ago. Someone opened a phone acct in our name. Had to get letters to prove to the phone co that we didn't live in that area. Since then check our credit yearly. Good Luck! Stay strong! XX

Kate said...

That's scary! Hang in there. And I struggle with stupid health insurance, too. Sigh. It never ends sometimes.

Jill said...

That's too bad, Andrea. People who steal have no heart, and would never stop to think about their victims or the consequences of their actions. They often prey on the elderly which makes me so mad, they are vulnerable!! I hope that it's just your CC and nothing else, good luck sorting it out.

Robin said...

Loser!! I used to have so much more faith in people but unfortunately there are a lot of dirtbags out there. Sorry to hear you have to deal with that.

Mel said...

Hey Andrea,
When I didn't have employer health insurance, I did a lot of research and the best solution was Kaiser. It was by far the least expensive and the coverage was great. People argue back and forth about frustrations with Kaiser, but no system is perfect. I had excellent care during my 3 years with them, including delivering Reece with them. Kaiser is particularly well respected for preventative care, perfect for kids.
Good luck!
Mel

Anonymous said...

Many of the credit card companies now offer identity theft alerts too and monitor your social security number and alert you if there is an issue. The credit bureaus also offer an account freeze where nobody (including yourself) can open new accounts. There is a way to unfreeze it for you if you need to open something yourself.

Sorry you are having that to deal with too. Thanks for sharing your experiences. My Dad died when I was 11 so I can relate to the feelings of losing someone important but not as a spouse. Definitely gives me insight into what my mom dealt with. If it helps at all, my brother and I are living proof that while not having your dad around stinks royally that an amazing mom counts for a ton and makes a world of difference. From what I read you are an amazing mom and your kids are so fortunate to have someone as strong and loving as you.

Jan said...

I'm sorry about the cc fraud, Andrea. Not being thieves ourselves, it's hard to understand how someone could stoop this low! Also, I have had Kaiser for 30 years, and love it. Unfortunately my husband retired, and now we have to use my insurance (Anthem!). But because I like Kaiser so much, I have been making COBRA payments the last 3 months so that I can continue there a little longer. Check it out . . .

Shannon said...

For the love of God, this is the crap that really p#sses me off! As if life itself isn't throwing enough curve balls for you to duck and miss, you have to stop and deal with THIS? I pray that is all you have to handle. Identity theft is a whole other ballgame! I'd like to find that SOB and slap the sh*t out of him/her for you. Get a job and work for the things you want like every other citizen in America. Hope it all works out for Andrea. I know the stress level is about to take it's toll. Try to take it in stride, it will eventally all work itself out. Take a deep breath and have a drink!

AndreaRenee said...

UPDATE: So far, it seems it's only the credit card fraud, thankfully! I called the credit bureaus and had the lock put on my credit that someone mentioned. From the responses here, I guess this is way more common than I thought...
Thank you for the advice and suggestions about the health insurance, too - I'll definitely look into Kaiser!
Jagow Family, I do remember you! =)
Thanks, everyone! xoxo