My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

This was Matt's favorite holiday movie. We watched it faithfully every year, and every year it was just as funny as the year before.

When we got rid of our VHS player, I bought him the DVD for Christmas (last year) - well in advance of Christmas because the Christmas before that, they were sold out and I couldn't find one anywhere. He was one of the hardest people I knew to buy for, so to find something I know he would like that he didn't already buy for himself was a real thrill. Unfortunately, he never ended up getting it. I was looking forward to watching it this year, but now I can't find it. It's gotta be around here somewhere...

Anyway, I reminded myself of Chevy Chase today... you know that scene when he's working so hard putting up a million Christmas lights, and the big moment comes (drumroll, please), he plugs them in, and.........................................................................

nothing.

Well, that's exactly what happened to me tonight. I had actually put up lights outside the house last week, but I found more lights that all match, and they're my favorite with the big, colorful bulbs. I'm not sure where Matt got them, but they were buried in a Rubbermaid tote with the rest of our Christmas stuff, and I thought it'd be great to have the same type of lights for the whole front of the house instead of mix and matched ones plugged into each other.

I tested each string, and each one worked perfectly.

Why oh why, after I get done putting them ALL on the house, did they have one brief second of brillance, and then..........................................................................

nothing?!?!?

The outlet outside is working just fine, the lights are all working, what's the problem?! Anyone have an idea? I know a lot of people are reading this thing - I'd be thrilled for a solution (before I throw a Clark-style tantrum...). Thanks! =)

7 comments:

Cliff Fazzolari said...

They say...that those who've gone before us send us messages through lights...just saying.

Shannon said...

Check the breaker like Clarks wife did Andrea. I am picturing all of this happening! Hee hee!I have fought with EVERY set of lights in my house since I started decorating two weeks ago. I am exhausted!!!! I swear they make these lights crap so you have to replace them every year. I remember when I was a kid (stone ages), lights lasted for decades! I think I just threw the last set of lights away a few years ago from back when I was a kid! Good luck to you sweetheart...don't start drinking and for the love of God...don't kick Santa Claus!

Angela said...

You don't know me, but i read your blog regularly. I am not sure I have helpful advice here, but there's a chance you have too many lights strung together. You're not supposed to put more than 3 strings on one outlet. Perhaps that's it? I would check the breaker first.

AndreaRenee said...

Angela!!! That was it exactly - I didn't realize you could only have 3 per outlet, and I guess I maxed it out at 5... Oops. I was blowing the little fuses inside the strings. Split them up between two outlets, and voila!! Thank you!!! =) (Santa and reindeer were spared, thanks to you)

Heather said...

My first thought was also that you blew a fuse. It's funny the things you learn when you suddenly find you have to take care of everything yourself. I am glad that is all it was and you got your lights working-and that Santa and the reindeer were not harmed in the process. :)

letterstoelias said...

I'm so proud of you (does that sound silly?) of putting the lights up at all.

This is my first year without Elias, and I just have so many memories of him doing it each year (using a staple gun with sparks flying and a sly smile everytime I asked him if he should be doing it that way) that it breaks my heart everytime I think about it. I practically started to cry just looking at my neighbour's beautiful lights the other day.

Maybe I can draw a little strength from you . . . and planning to watch his favorite movie too? It's encouraging to hear you are taking these things on.

~C~

Boo said...

that was our favourite Christmas Movie too <3