My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

October 16 & 17

I had a much needed night out with some friends last night. I was able to find a babysitter at the last minute, and enjoy a few hours with some other grown ups and just relax, visit, and laugh. Just what the doctor ordered! The timing was good - I've been in a funk.

Today, my brother and nephew came over and they took Jacob with them on a hike into the mountains while Sydney took her nap.

There are times when I feel Matt's presence so strongly. I don't mean that necessarily like his spirit is hanging around here, but that there are moments when I know exactly what he would do or say in a certain situation. For example, tonight when my brother was having dinner with us, he was telling me about his hike in the mountains with the boys, and how there were a bunch of other young boys there with two of their moms. The moment he mentioned the moms, I instantly thought of Matt's voice asking,

"Were they hot?"

Ha ha! And I'm fairly certain that he was glad he wasn't around to have dinner with us tonight because I know he wouldn't have liked what was on the menu...

I love it when those vivid thoughts pop into my head. It really makes it feel like Matt is still with me, close by, still putting in his two cents. It's so comforting.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Matt and Jason would have gotten along well. That is EXACTLY what Jason says whenever I see women around.

Danielle said...

I am glad that the good thoughts still come around often to put a smle on your face. What a great husband, dad and man.

Boo said...

oh yes, the ability we have due to such insight into their characters and their thought processes, the way we can "hear" their voices through years of seeking their counsel, which through some kind of osmosis has now become part of us now. I'm happy that Matt is close by to you xx

Tina said...

This post made me chuckle, but also made my heart ache... it is exactly something my husband would say... cannot imagine being in your shoes, but thank you so much for sharing this difficult journey... if it gives you any comfort at all your story reminds the rest of us to be thankful.... I wish you happiness... tina