My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

July 2, 2009

Today I began cleaning out my office. My last day of work isn't until July 31, but since Jennifer is going on a road trip for the next couple of weeks, I'll be working from home. I figured as long as I was bringing a bunch of work home with me today, I'd bring some of my personal belongings home, too. As I was going through my desk, I came across a couple of notes that Matt wrote to me.

The first said, "Curly Quattro, I love you. M"

Now, as you probably guessed, there's a little back story on that one... A couple of years ago, I got a perm. I don't really know what I was thinking... I just wanted a little extra body in my hair, and thought that would do the trick. Well, it did. Apparently the hairdresser and I had some miscommunication because I ended up with a poodle perm. I won't make that mistake again anytime soon...

As it was, anytime I told Matt I was going to get my hair cut, he would reply with, "OK. Jacob and I are leaving town."

I used to overreact to bad hair cuts (I have since gotten some perspective on that - it's only hair, right?) and would make Matt pretty miserable with the aftermath. So, as you can imagine, a bad perm threw me a little. Thing is, Matt always preferred my hair curly, so he actually loved it! He said it bumped up my rank from #7 -he he... Apparently I made it to number four because he started calling me Curly Quattro.

We were still working at the same place when he came into my office while I wasn't there, wrote that note and left it on my desk for me to find. I never threw out any sweet notes like that, or any of the cards that he gave me. Thank God. He had such a beautiful way of expressing himself to me in cards. I treasure them.

The second note I found was just a brief little thank you for printing out one of his final papers for school. "Thanks, My Love."

The notes caused my mind to drift back to better days when all was right with the world - or at least in my world. I loved working at the same place that he did... I never got tired of seeing him around the campus. In fact, I rather admired him in his Carhartt work pants, and when I'd see him walking to the dining hall where we were all headed for lunch, my stomach would still do a little flip. I loved catching his eye while we were in there, and exchange a little unspoken message... I loved it that we had it so good.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Keep those notes and treasure them always. <3

Notes From the Grove said...

I'm so glad you have those. I hope they are at least a little comforting to you.

Jill said...

What a sweet story. It's so nice that you have these momentos to hold on to always.

Shannon said...

I know how that feels. I still read notes my husband wrote me 7 years ago, and it still takes me back. We met when I worked in the lab at the hospital nd he worked as a nurse in the ER. Everytime I would go over to draw blood on a patient, he would make some excuse to come to the patient I was working on. It was so cute. Those were the days. Seems like these days we can't even have a conversation without kiddos hanging on us. Oh well, those days will soon be gone too. Treasure those letters. They are a big part of you.

Glenda said...

So happy you found those treasured notes from Matt. Especially now-a-days with all the texting going on... I have every single letter, card or note my hubby has ever given me, even way back when we were dating. I hope these notes comfort you. XX

Boo said...

these items are so much more precious to us now than share prices, diamonds or anything aren't they? The last line of your post really resonated with me. Keep us posted with your move xxx