My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Growing Up

Jacob took his first shower by himself last night! He's taken one or two showers before, but that was a long time ago when he was a baby, and they were with Matt. Matt held Jacob's slippery little body in his big, strong arms, and as much as Matt wanted to have him in the shower with him was as much as Jacob didn't want to be there. He didn't much care for them then, but he's ready now! I wasn't sure when independent bathing started, but I guess is the start of it for Jacob, at five years old. He was so proud of himself, taking a shower like a big boy...

"Does the water come out of the top part up there? Does it come out like a watering can? My friend Sam takes showers. I can use the other soap now, right? Can you take all the toys out of the tub? I'll do it myself, Mommy..."

...and on, and on....

Today is his last day of preschool, too. I'm trying to convince him that he's not going to Kindergarten next week, that there are a couple of months with no school before he starts. He happily announced to his teachers this morning that he is taking showers now!

Miss Linda and Miss Norita, Jacob's preschool teachers, have been doing their jobs for over 20 years, and it's evident that they are in the right line of work. They have made Jacob's first year at school a very positive one, despite the fact that it was the most challenging year in his little life so far. They handled every difficult situation with patience and love. They are a blessing to every child they have in their class. Everyone in that school is just wonderful. I'm kind of sad that Sydney won't have the experience of going there.

This morning, a friend of mine at work said that she's reading a book and came across a quote in it that made her think of me: "Nothing changes if nothing changes." A good quote to start the day with...

No comments: