My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day.

You know the saying, "Anyone can be a father, but it takes a special man to be a Dad."

Matt was a real Dad. He lived his life wholesome and full. Kept himself healthy, active, educated, happy. Provided an excellent example for his children. He was his nephews' and niece's favorite uncle, and when he had children of his own, he reveled in his role. He did more things with his kids in the short time he had them than many men do throughout their whole lives.

My brother. Another man who takes on his role as Dad with his whole heart and soul.

My Dad. He can't do enough for me and my kids lately, and it's been so wonderful to have him such an active part of our lives through all this. Just having him near is comforting for me.

My father-in-law. He and Matt really grew close the past few years, and it was a beautiful thing to see. He loves me like one of his own, and is a wonderful grandpa. My heart goes out to him today.

A couple of weeks ago, one of Jacob's teachers told me that they were going to be doing Father's Day projects with the kids. She wanted to know if I wanted Jacob to do his project for Grandpa instead, or something else. I told her that it's perfectly fine if he wants to do something for his Daddy, and that I'd prefer to leave the decision up to him.

He drew a sweet picture for Daddy, and wrote a story on the back:

"Dad and I used to ride our bikes in town. We would go fishing, too. Dad would watch Polar Express with me. It is my favorite movie. Brown was his favorite color. We would play with my trains, too! I love my Dad... A Zillion!
Jacob

Happy Father's Day, My Love.

And Happy Father's Day to all the other great Dads out there - whether here or in spirit.

7 comments:

Meghan said...

Happy Father's Day Andrea. I know how painful this day can be. (well...I know how painful Mother's day can be and it's the same idea).

I am so glad that you had Jacob make the decision on his own. He will be able to look back at that drawing and remember his dad, and how much his dad loved him.

My thoughts and prayers are with you today.

jamac722 said...

That is a really nice way to show his love for his Dad.

I hope everyone let's their Dad's know what they mean to them today and everyday that they can.

Rick said...

Amen to the wonderful fathers in your families lives!!! Great blog story!!

God Bless Matt on this Father's Day...

Marla said...

It sounds like your children have and will continue to be blessed by the amazing father figures in their lives. I'm sure Matt is proudly looking down at that card, wishing he could be with you all today.

Shannon said...

Happy Father's Day Andrea! You are a great mom AND dad! Matt is so proud of you! It breaks my heart fo you to go through this day alone! You are tough as nails, you will get through. Hope you had a wonderful day! Shannon

ANFQ said...

It was a tough day for our family, too. Glad you were able to get through it and SOOOOOOOO excited for you about your new house in California! What a wonderful new chapter lies ahead. It will never be the same but it sounds like the future looks bright (and California) sunny!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Enjoyed reading your blog tonight.....I love finding new blogs...Had a little time to blog hop tonight while waiting to go to the hospital and welcome a new grandson tomorrow. This month I am posting about our Disney trip, plus a great giveaway.