My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

It's Like Riding a Bike...

Yesterday, Jacob said to me, "I used to know how to ride my bike, but I don't anymore." What a heartbreak. I instantly felt like I failed him and Matt. This was their favorite thing to do together, and Jacob was so proficient - especially for his age. He even took the training wheels off last summer! I've suggested to him several times that he get on his bike instead of the big wheel - no wonder he hasn't. He's lost confidence in himself on his bike. I promised myself, Matt and Jacob in November that I would take him into town like Daddy did to ride bikes (we don't have sidewalks by our house), and I haven't followed through yet. I did explain to him that once you know how to ride a bike, you ALWAYS know how to ride a bike.

It is a bit tough with Sydney - I can't leave her to take Jacob, and I've had to use a babysitter for other things going on, and I don't want to leave her more than I already have been. We do have one of those carriages that hook on the back of a bike, and I've intended to figure out how to rig it up so I can take Sydney with us. I definitely need to make that a priority.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Andrea,

Just a quick note to let you know I think you are an incredibly courageous and wonderful mother.

Your strength is inspiring and I know your husband is proud.

Take care,

Julie

Danielle said...

I have to agree with the above comment. You are such a strong women. Your children are lucky to have you and equally as lucky for the time they had with their amazing father.
You are an inspiration to me.

AndreaRenee said...

Thank you so much.

Carrie Lynn Fazzolari said...

Ditto!!

Hook that thingy up to the bike. Your daughter will love it, and you will get such a workout! I've been riding them around in a double pully thingy for nearly three years - until the last time, I realized I was pulling nearly 100pounds.

You are a great mom. Stay strong, and keep up the good work. Matt is smiling down on you, no doubt.