My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Back in the Saddle...

Jacob has finally gotten back on his bike, and he's in the swing full force. It's such a relief to me to see that his confidence with riding has returned, and he's even challenging himself more and more. He's been riding on Jennifer's long gravel driveway, which poses some new challenges- keeping his balance through all the bumps and rocks. The day before yesterday, he crashed pretty good on that gravel driveway and scraped his hands. He wiped his tears away, got right back on and kept going. Yesterday, he crashed again and skinned his knee, but again, got right back on.

Last night he was riding on our steep, hilly lawn with his cousins until the sun went down. He came into the house exhausted, but invigorated. He is so proud of himself that he now can ride on the grass, too.

Matt started out riding his bike in California - he became so proficient at BMXing that he was actually considered somewhat of a local celebrity in his little San Diego hometown. When he moved to Buffalo, he continued with it (as much as he could between rain drops and snow falls) and also became an avid mountain biker. When I met him, he was riding as often as physically possible and involved in races that took us all over New York State (this, in addition to working full time and going to school- the man was amazing). His favorite part about mountain biking were the steep downhill runs on skinny dirt trails over tree roots and rocks, and all the other obstacles that challenged him on the way down. My favorite part about it was how hot he looked in his riding attire. =)-

Jacob told me last night that his favorite part about riding his bike is speeding down the hill in our yard and navigating the bumps. Sound familiar?

When I was tucking Jacob into bed late last night, he said to me, "Daddy was with me when I was riding today." I said, "He was?" and he replied, "Yes - he was in my heart."

He most certainly was.

11 comments:

Cammie said...

ohhhhh Andrea. He is such a beautiful child. Im so happy you can keep him alive through your children

Kelly Syferd said...

It makes my heart smile to hear Jacob feeling his daddy's presence. He will forever be in your heart, Jacob.

Elizabeth said...

HI. I found your blog the other day from Matt Loeglins blog. First, I am so so sorry for the loss of your husband. It sounds like he was a wanderful man and it is awful that he was taken away so soon. You and your family are in my prayers. I am the oldest of 6 children and a year and a half ago my life changed forever as well. My dad was taken away from me. He died from a blood clot to his heart after being given a clean bill of health 2 weeks prior and being told he had reflux instead of heart trouble. He collapsed in a parking lot by himself and hit his head and bled out into his brain. My mom and dad had the picture book marraige and my mom is just so heartbroken. She talks of some of the same emotions that I have read on your blog. I read your post about making big decisions for the first year and my mom is struggling with the same thing. I told he she needs to do what she thinks is best and if moving away from her and my dads "dream house" that they finally got just a year before his death is what she needs to do then that is what she needs to do. What your son said about his dad being in his heart and being with him, what an amazing little boy! There are so many things that remind me of my dad and I have to remind myself that he is always with me, just not the way that I want him to be.
I guess I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you and your kids and that your story touched my heart... May God bless you.

wmandbethnickles@hotmal.com

Island Roys said...

That is so fantasticly sweet and totally true. I'm so glad that he can feel that! (I'm new to your blog from Matt Logelin. Hope you don't mind.)

Carrie Lynn Fazzolari said...

Oh my... so sweet. Matt was definitely riding with him. So awesome!

jeana said...

Oh brought tears to my eyes your little man is so wonderful

Katie said...

I too came from Matt Logelin's blog. I want to say that I am so, very sorry for the loss of your husband. He sure sounded like a wonderful father and husband. I am keeping your family in my thoughs and prayers. I lost my dad when I was 13 (and my sister was 8.) He was only 39 years old. This left my mom to raise us alone. My mother is an amazing woman and so are you! Take care and God bless.

Trinity said...

What a beautiful comment from a sweet little boy.

I'm new to your blog from matt Leglin's. I am very, very sorry for the loss of your husband. I cannot even imagine. You have exhibited a tremendous amount of strength in the few entries here that I've had a chance to read. I will continue to pray for you & your family.

Anglea said...

Andrea....I love that while reading this post I could invision the areas you were talking about Jacob riding his bike. Jennifer's driveway, your yard, etc. Jacob is such an incredible boy and I know he's a piece of Matt that will live on forever.

Megan said...

Awww, that is so sweet! *heart*

eastmoormom said...

where are you???