My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Friday, May 1, 2009

April 24 - 29, 2009









The kids and I went on a very much needed vacation out west to visit my brother Bryan and his family. It was so refreshing to get a change of scenery, enjoy some beautiful weather, and just relax. Relax without the worries and stress of what is facing me at home or at work.

Jacob, Sydney and I arrived early Friday afternoon after a flight that was WAY more bearable than the one we took to Arizona in November. I actually remembered to bring the portable DVD player, got a couple of new movies, and even remembered to charge it the night before. God bless the person who invented that little piece of technology!! There was much less screaming by Sydney, and I know the other passengers appreciated it, too. Jacob, of course, was such a good little helper the whole way, and enjoyed pulling the little green suitcase behind him (which weighed more than he does) through the airport. He even hussled when I rushed him to our connecting flight that we came within seconds of missing. They were literally closing the doors!

There is nothing like walking out of the airport and seeing palm trees... Anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely love palm trees. Later that day, I had an opportunity to meet Matt Logelin and go out for a delicious dinner that ended with dessert wine. I've never had that before (or even heard of it), and boy was it delicious!! It was also nice to be a grown up for a little while, eat a meal in peace, and in wonderful company.

Saturday, Bryan, his wife Elaine, their kids and my little family all went to the park where my nephew Daniel had a baseball game, and my niece Madeline had a basketball game. I was pretty impressed with how well all those young kids played, and it was great to get the opportunity to watch them in their element. Jacob and Sydney had a blast playing on the structures at the park, and of course, it was warm and sunny... You can do anything when it's warm and sunny! Later, we went on a beautiful hike, but Sydney did not like being in the backpack carrier at all and screamed most of the way. She never seemed to mind the carrier when it was her daddy that had her on his back. She did like the part when the hike was over, was out of the carrier, and could play to her heart's content at another park with a beautiful carousel. The parks in LA are amazing! Bryan and Elaine had a delicious BBQ that evening for dinner, and we had certainly worked up an appetite by then.

Sunday, Matt L, his sweet baby girl, Maddy, and my little family of three went to Disneyland and had an absolute blast. I even got to hang out with some of Matt's co-workers/friends... Jacob was in awe at everything, and it was tough to get him to stay close to me, so it was extremely helpful to have some extra sets of eyes to make sure he didn't wander too far away. Before I became a parent, I always thought those kid "leashes" were so cruel. Now I totally get it - especially at a place like Disney! (For those on the west coast, I purposely said "Disney" instead of "Disneyland" because I'm embracing my East coast-ness... he he). At one point when we were taking a break, Jacob was hanging out by one of the kiosks, and the lady running it asked Jacob where his daddy was (or something to that effect). Of all the questions to ask him, it's ironic she would ask about his daddy... Jacob, of course, responded with, "My daddy died at work." The lady was pretty stunned, but handled it quite well considering.

Monday, Bryan took the day off and took the kids and I to the beach, to lunch at one of his favorite spots, and then to the Santa Monica Pier. All the rides were shut down for maintenance or something, but the only ride still running was the ferris wheel. What a beautiful view from way up there! There may have been a time when I would have been a little afraid of being that high up (OK, a LOT afraid), but I think I mentioned before how Matt's death cured me of my fears, and turns out maybe even my fear of heights! Even on the flight on the way out, the plane dropped probably a couple hundred feet in about a second from hitting an air pocket, and the last time that happened when I was on a flight to San Diego with Matt, I actually yelped outloud and fought back tears. This time, I actually enjoyed the tickle I got in my stomach - I know Jacob did! I said it was like riding on a roller coaster, and one of the ladies sitting in the row next to us looked at me like I was nuts. I'll admit it - I probably am.

Monday night, we all went to our favorite Mexican restaurant - Paco's. We usually have to hit Paco's once whenever I come to visit. That would be one good reason for us to relocate to L.A. You can't beat the Mexican food... My Paco's favorites are their authentic, homemade flour tortillas, and their marinated carrots and onions - oh - and their chips and salsa. Somehow, I don't think I ended up eating any chips and salsa while I was there that night. I guess I'll have to make another trip out soon to get some! I'm making myself hungry now...

Tuesday morning was relaxing - the kids and I hung out at my brother's house, and then Matt L. picked me up for a delicious lunch. I spent the evening hanging out with my kids and my brother's family, and dreading having to get on a plane in a few hours to come back home to reality.

Our flight took off that night at 11:00 pm, and it was almost delayed by some idiot complaining about someone's adorable baby girl kicking the back of his seat (no, it wasn't my adorable little girl...). This little girl had to have been barely a year old, and cute as can be. How could anyone get so upset about that, that it nearly caused such a scene? Get a grip, people! All I can say is thank God he was not on the flight with us to or from Arizona in November. I'm sure Sydney would have really set him off, and then I would have had to - um - given him some perspective on the situation. I'm pretty sure we all would have been kicked off of that flight.

This trip did me a lot of good. Meeting Matt and Maddy was a treat, and as always, it's a treat to get to spend some time with my brother and his beautiful family in sunny L.A. I came back refreshed and with renewed purpose. Now if only I could finish unpacking...
**I almost forgot to mention this!!! Sydney said "I love you" for the first time when we were in California!!!!! One of the most precious moments ever. =)

8 comments:

melissa said...

Sounds like a great trip, Andrea. And how nice that you got to spend time with Matt L.

Bre said...

Sounds so great, Andrea. I'm glad you guys had such a wonderful time. Next trip, TEXAS! :)

Michelle said...

I'm glad you had a nice trip, Andrea. You were within 2 states of me! :) Just to let you know I'm still praying for you guys, and especially was yesterday, as I remember that Dave & Jacob share a birthday. Love you guys.

Kelly Syferd said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip, Andrea!

Cammie said...

How very cool that you got to meet Matt and Maddy! What an awesome friendship that will be for you!

The Richards Family said...

What a wonderful trip.. I have been thinking of you!

Nicole said...

Sounds like a much needed trip!

Rick said...

Your pictures are beautiful!!!
Keep Busy!!