My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

My kids...

When Matt died, Jacob told me that he was now going to be the daddy. I tried explaining to him that I still need him to be my little boy and that he didn't need to be the daddy, but despite my explanations, he has apparently made up his mind and is taking his new role quite seriously. He hasn't actually told me so, but his actions show it.

He has got to be the most phenomenal four year old big brother ever. For instance, just last night, the three of us climbed into Sydney's bed to read a book. I suggested that I get between Jacob and Sydney so they can both see the book easier (and so they're not pushing and shoving each other). Jacob offered to sit on my right so that Sydney wouldn't be at risk of falling out of the bed. How sweet is that?!

He even helped pick out her clothes this morning. Voluntarily.

How did I get so lucky?

Yesterday after work, the three of us did a little clothes shopping. They've grown out of just about everything they have (what else is new). Sydney, not even two yet, has had a "thing" about shoes from day one. She was THRILLED because she got a new pair of sneakers and sandals, and even helped pick them out. She has a strong opinion already about what she wears (Lord help me).

When I went to look at shoes for myself, she was trying to grab all the shoes off the shelf so that she could try them on - high heeled, sparkly, grown up lady shoes... She was getting really mad that I was trying some on and she couldn't. When I finally helped her put a pair on (that she wouldn't be able to wear for about 15 years), you should have seen her face light up. A girl after my own heart.

She really could have taken after Matt or me in this area - he had a "thing" about shoes, too. I think he may have owned more pairs of shoes/sneakers than I do! As I was going through his things a few weeks back, I had to laugh... I found two or three pairs of brand new sneakers that he never even wore yet. I found three pairs of gloves with tags still on, and two brand new winter hats that also still had their tags. Those, in addition to the countless other pairs of gloves and hats... Now that I think about it, I really think Sydney took more after her daddy in this area. She is always putting on gloves, shoes and hats and walking around the house with them on. Matt has to be looking down and getting a kick out of all this...

3 comments:

Carrie Lynn Fazzolari said...

You're a good mom... shoes, "little big man" - all of it. You're a good mom. Your kids are very fortunate.

Rick said...

I find it hard to believe that Jacob is 4 and Sydney is 2??? They both act MUCH older and I think your going to have your hands full (LOL)!!! Cherish these times because they go by so quickly!!!

AndreaRenee said...

Carrie, from one good mom to another, you know that is the best compliment a woman can receive. Thank you!!