My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Hope

What a great couple of days... My brother flew in from LA on Thursday, my sister and her kids drove in, and my dad and his wife also came out. They took over my house like a work crew and fixed anything that needed fixed, cleaned what needed cleaned, and even cooked a Thanksgiving meal. I've been stretching myself so thin the past couple of weeks, that the relief of having them here felt like a drug. I even took a four-hour nap one of the days they were here. We had such a great time together, and it reinforced to me the importance of family, swallowing pride and accepting help. They felt the need to help just as much as I needed them to, and it was great for all of us. My kids had a blast visiting with family, too!

I've always had a tough time accepting help from others - I like to believe I can handle everything myself, and for the most part, I don't do too bad with that, but it became obvious after a while that I did need the help. Somehow without me even asking, everyone showed up exactly when I needed them. Even right down to the party Matt's cousins who live next door had on Saturday night. They sure know how to throw a party, and it was a great opportunity for my brother, sister and I to let our hair down and share lots of laughs.

The relationship the three of us have is pretty amazing for siblings to have - especially when you consider the age difference between us... My brother is 10 years older than me, and my sister is 8 years older than me. Despite having lived apart for most of our lives, we are all very much alike, and compatible as can be.

This past week has reminded me to not live too much in the past, appreciate the present, and to look forward to what the future might hold. If I can hang onto that feeling, there just might be some hope for me.

2 comments:

Carrie Lynn Fazzolari said...

Family. Amazing.

A four hour nap? Are you kidding me? They should be Sainted, just for that alone.

Good title for the blog post.

AndreaRenee said...

Tell me about it! LOL!