My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Speaking of full circle...

Matt and I met at a wedding on August 22, 1998.

My mom worked at a jewelry store in the mall, and the manager of that store was Aris - Matt's cousin Amy's fiance. Matt and Aris were friends, and Matt would often visit Aris at the store. I used to visit my mother at the store all the time, and it's just amazing that our paths never crossed!

My mother was invited to the wedding, along with other people that worked in the store, so I went with her as her date. I was actually interested in one of the other guys that my mom worked with and was sort of flirting with him at the wedding, when this tall guy in a suit with a curly mullet comes up to me and asks me to dance.

Apparently, he had gone up to my mom and asked her, "Why didn't you ever tell me you had a daughter?!" And her response was probably along the lines of, "Because she would have killed me if I tried to fix her up! Don't look at me - go ask her to dance!"

I danced with him a few times, but he was so persistent that I started making excuses of why I couldn't dance anymore - my feet hurt, blah blah blah... I remember thinking he was really nice, but with that long, curly mullet of his, he just wasn't my type.

At the end of the reception as everyone was leaving, he gave me a piece of paper with his numberS on it. I say numbers with an emphatic plural because it had his home number, his cell phone number and his pager number on there. Geez - how desperate is this guy, anyway?! He also invited me to a party at the hotel afterward where the bride, groom, and a bunch of friends were going to be continuing the reception.

After he handed me the piece of paper with his numbers, I warned him that I was going out of town with my sister and her family for two weeks, so if he didn't hear from me for a while, that was why. Truth was, I wasn't sure if I was going to call him at all. Did I mention how picky I am?

At the end of that two weeks, I picked up the piece of paper and was *this* close to throwing it away. Then I thought, This is why I'm still alone at 25. I could at least give the guy a chance and go on one date with him. If I don't like him, I don't have to go again.

Boy am I glad I took the chance.

Matt and I have been to many weddings during our time together, and always had a great time dancing and socializing. He can really rip it up on the dance floor!

Fast foward ten years to this past August, almost to the day from when we met, and we attended another wedding together at The Gow School for a couple of teachers that work there. The reception was on the grounds under a huge tent - it was beautiful. There was a huge thunder and lighting storm during the reception, and torrential rains that almost took the tent down - but that didn't dampen anyone's mood - everyone had a blast and let their hair down. The DJ was playing awesome music, and Matt and I had such a great time ripping it up!

Matt's mom just recently told me that when he first met me at that wedding, he told her he just met a girl with the most beautiful smile. Aris and Amy's anniversary has always held special meaning to me, and it always will.

I had told Matt years later that I nearly threw out that piece of paper, and he told me that it wouldn't have mattered... he knew where to find me, and he wouldn't have given up. =)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

The things works out....

What a sweet story.

Megan said...

That's so sweet! =D