My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Friday, February 20, 2009

My big boy!

Poor Jacob has been sick pretty much all winter long, so the pediatrician decided to send him for bloodwork to have his titers tested (for those who don't know, that indicates his resistance or lack thereof to certain viral and bacterial germs flying around). That blood test went fairly well up until the plebotomist put the needle in. Poor kid!

Since his titers were low, they gave him a Pnumo vax to boost his immunity. I ended up getting the same thing because I've been sick all winter right along with him.

He had follow up bloodwork scheduled to measure his titers again to see if the vax helped him at all. So on the way to Quest, I gave Jacob a heads up about where we were going and why.

He said, "But I don't want to have bloodwork done, Mommy!"

I said, "I know, sweetie, but they have to make sure that the shot they gave you is working the way it should to keep you healthy."

We get into the office and he decided he wanted to sit in the chair by himself instead of sitting on my lap so I can hold him while they take his blood.

"Are you sure, Jacob? You can sit on my lap if you want!"

"No, I want to sit by myself."

"OK, but you can't move when she puts the needle in your arm."

"Why?"

"Because it'll make it hurt."

"OK."

She puts the needle in his arm and he hardly flinches. And he's watching the whole thing - the needle go in his arm, the blood going in the little straw and into the vile!

"This is cool!" he says!

I'm picking my jaw up off the floor as the plebotomist says, "Here - feel this..." She's telling him to feel the warm blood going into the vile...

"Wow!" he says.

Then she takes the needle out of his arm, and again - he barely flinches.

I finally get my jaw off the floor, and can't tell him enough how proud I am of him!!! There are few grown-ups that would do as well (myself included)!!!

I do think the big chocolate bar I waved in front of him before the needle went in may have helped a little (he's a full-fledged chocohaulic), but really - I'm so proud of my big boy!!

OH - another big boy brag!!!! Jacob and I usually read a book before bed. He has been taking more of an interest in the words than in the pictures for some time, and now that he has learned all his letters and the sounds that each one makes, he is starting to successfully sound out small words!!!! The boy is 4 and in preschool!!!!

His Daddy would be so proud.

1 comment:

Megan said...

What a big boy!

I can't even watch them put the needle in my arm let alone watch the blood coming out. *shiver*

Good job on the reading too! That's awesome!