My photo
Matt and I were together for 10 wonderful years - met in 1998, married in 2002, until his untimely death on November 15, 2008. We have two beautiful, healthy children - Jacob (born 5/04) and Sydney (born 5/07)... the most precious gifts he could have ever given me.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Last Date

When Matt and I were dating, one of the things we would do very often was play pool at a local billiards - Classic Cue. It was a nice evening activity which didn't involve going to a bar or sitting silently at a movie.

One of our very first dates was here... I'll never forget - we were playing pool, and Matt asked me, "So, what are your rules for pool?" and I told him the basics of what I knew about pool. For some reason, I thought he asked me the same question again, so I said, "Basically, if you get it in, great - if you don't, try again!" Well, the look on his face pretty clearly indicated that he wasn't asking me about pool - his mouth was open wide with a smile, as were his eyes with a shocked look on his face... I thought, "Uh oh" and said, "What?! What did you ask me?!" and he said, "I asked you what your rules were for DATING!"

I was SO embarrassed, and naturally he thought it was great. I think it was then that he knew he wanted to marry me!

Having been married for 6+ years, him working 2nd shift on a new job, me working full time during the day, two young children, etc., dates were very few and far between. Time got away from us quickly and before we knew it, it had been months since we'd gone on a date with each other.

This past October, we finally planned a date night. Matt looked in the paper for times that a movie was playing (I forgot which movie), and we got to the theater and they were already 45 minutes into the movie. I guess he looked at the paper wrong, so we left and he drove us around until we ended up at Classic Cue.

We hadn't been there in YEARS. It was pretty cool to have a date like the ones we used to have way back when! We were in desperate need of some quality time together, and this gave it to us more than if we were to sit in silence at a movie theater. Kinda felt like the old days...

I'm so thankful for that date. It means more to me now than I ever thought it would - almost like we had gone full circle.

8 comments:

Cammie said...

Wow. Full Circle all right. I saw you changed your FB status from married....sucks.

AndreaRenee said...

Yeah - you know, I only intended to update the profile message under the pic, and I noticed as I was editing that it said 'married' even though it's hidden. I never expected that when I changed it to blank, it would make it known... It DOES suck.

Anglea said...

What a great memory, Andrea! You and Matt were definitely a one of a kind couple. I love reading your blog and getting to know Matt and you and Matt as a couple. (((HUGS)))

eastmoormom said...

i think you should go back over there and steal (or ask for) a ball...keep it in a drawer....it will be a smile everytime you open the drawer...plus a fun reminder for the kids of your love for one another...and how they will find that kind of love someday!!
have a great weekend

eastmoormom said...

come on girl....you were getting real good at posting regular-like...

Megan said...

I'm so glad that you had that last date. It's a memory you'll never forget.

Annie from Oregon said...

I recently discovered your blog (coming over from Matt Logelin's). This post is my first introduction to you and, wow! - I am reading a truly wonderful love story! Full Circle will be exactly right for a chapter in the book I hope you write. What a joyful and searingly honest book it would be Andrea - you write beautifully. No one can be ready for a shock such as you had. No one is can ever really be ready for death to pounce, but you are so bravely getting a grip on life. Thank God for your attitude and heart - your little ones will be survivors because you are showing them how. It is so cool that you love both just as they are and you clearly show it through the word pictures you paint of them. I am proud of you and my heart takes turns breaking and singing for you. I sense that reaching out for direction is a big priority for you - such as counseling and July's conference. I truly believe that when we are ready to learn - God will send a teacher. I admire the way you learn, lean back to absorb it, put it in perspective, and then pay it forward to your friends and readers. So here's to reality in your life and many prayers for you every day. Be your self...you are quite inspiring. PS I like the idea of copping...I mean...keeping a pool ball memento! Great idea!

AndreaRenee said...

Annie, thank you for all the beautiful things you said in your message to me - I just saw it today! I really like knowing other people's objective opinions on all this. Makes me feel like I might be doing better than I thought... Thank you.